Macro Express Forums

"keystroke speed" vs global "use text type delay"

ejs

What is the interaction between the "keystroke speed" command within a macro script, and the global "use text type delay" value configured in the options/preferences/delays?

Obviously the preference setting applies to all macros whereas the keystroke speed command applies only to the specific portion of a macro where it is called. But if you have the global value set to X microseconds and the keystroke speed value set to Y milliseconds, how do the two interact? Does the keystroke speed setting completely override the global setting, such that the inter-keystroke delay applied by macro express for the macro = Y (even if Y milliseconds < X microseconds)? Or is there a cumulative effect, so that the inter-keystroke delay applied by macro express = Y milliseconds + X microseconds?

Here is my preference on this...

I never touch the Options/Preference/Delay settings.

I always use Timing delays between my commands. Setting the value either in seconds or miliseconds depending on the situation with the application I'm putting or taking information from and what needs to happen. (ie: pasting or typing a long string I give a few extra miliseconds, just so the program has time to accept it.)

Now, with that said, sometimes our systems have slow times during the day or at certain times which might even make my time delays to short. So...to countact this I put a Macro Playback Speed delay clear at the top of most of my macros. Then if I need to slow them down I can change that without changing individual delays. Or, sometimes if I only need to slow down a certain area or part of the macro I put the Macro Playback Speed delay right at the correct spot in the scripting so I can change it and after that part is done put another Macro Playback Speed delay to re-set it back to "normal".

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John

What is the interaction between the "keystroke speed" command within a macro script, and the global "use text type delay" value configured in the options/preferences/delays?
These perform the same function. They both put the defined amount of delay between keystrokes. They are cumulative.

I always use Timing delays between my commands
I do this also.

I put a Macro Playback Speed delay clear at the top of most of my macros.
This is a good technique. However this command only alters existing Delay commands in your macro. It is different from the Keystroke Speed command and the 'Use Text Type Delay' option.

Here is a summary:

• Macro Playback Speed - Adjust the Delay commands in your macro to speed them up or slow them down
  • Keystroke Speed - Adjust the amount of time between each keystroke
  • Use Text Type Delay - Adjust the amount of time between each keystroke

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some information on the interactions between Macro Playback Speed and Keystroke Speed.

If Keystroke Speed=0, then setting the Macro Playback Speed to faster or slower than normal speed does not affect the playback delay between keystrokes. (of course, Macro Playback Speed will still affect the playback speed of the overall macro script.)

If Keystroke Speed>0, then setting the Macro Playback Speed to faster or slower than normal speed affects the playback delay between keystrokes. That is, the Macro Playback Speed will exaggerate or diminish any non-zero keystroke delay that is set with Keystroke Speed.

FYI - Macro Playback Speed = 1 = normal speed; >1 slower; <1 faster