Macro Express Forums

`Dead' period after running any macro

Brian49

Here's a point which rather exasperates me about this otherwise excellent program, which I couldn't live without. Immediately after running any macro, there is a `dead' period of several seconds during which no other macro can be run; hitting the relevant hot key produces no response at all. Then the program `comes alive' again and I can carry on. This isn't just an occasional glitch; it always happens. I wonder why this is, please, and whether anything can be done about it? Running v.3.7c in Vista Home Basic. Many thanks.

I'm trying to think of what could cause this. It does not happen on any of our Vista systems. In fact, I've never seen it happen at all.

Are you sure the macro has stopped? Does the icon change from "the running guy" back to the big blue "M"?

Thanks for responding. I can't answer your question directly at the moment, because up to now I've had the `show running' tray icon disabled. I'll enable it and see what happens. However, since many of my macros are simply to launch a program, I presume that the macro stops running as soon as the program starts to launch, whereas the `dead' period continues. By the way, this isn't exclusive to Vista; I used to get the problem with XP as well.

I presume that the macro stops running as soon as the program starts to launch ...

Yes, if it's the last command in the macro. Did you, by chance, change the Delay in Seconds field on the Advanced tab of the Program Launch dialog? Macro Express will wait that many seconds before launching an app.

Macro Express will only run one macro at a time. A previous macro must fully finish before the next macro will run.

The Activate and Launch: command does two things. It asks Windows to start a program (the Launch part) and waits for it to become active (the Activate part).

When a program is launched in Windows you often see the program on your screen long (in computer terms) before the program is actually loaded and running enough to accept input. This is why it is important to wait for the program to become active. The amount of time it takes for a program to become active is dependent on Windows, how busy your system is and on the size of the program you are loading.

The delay Joe mentioned is added to the amount of time the command waits for a program to become active. (To clarify, it adds the delay time after launching the application, not before.)

If you want to load a program and immediately allow other macros to run, convert your Activate and Launch commands to Program Lauch commands. But, if the subsequent macro you run needs to send input to the program you just loaded, you will have to wait for the program to be ready.

I only ever use Launch, never Launch and Activate. And the problem is there even when the next macro I try to run is unrelated to the previous one, which it usually is.

It's good of you guys to respond, but you seem to be trying to change my description of the problem, which was very clear and accurate. Let's leave it.

you seem to be trying to change my description of the problem, which was very clear and accurate.
Your description was not "clear and accurate" to me. And from the sound of Joe's questions, it wasn't clear to him either. No one was "trying to change [your] description of the problem." All we were doing is trying to understand your situation and explain how Macro Express works.

I do not see where you said

I only ever use Launch, never Launch and Activate
until your last post.

I started out by explaining that AFTER running any macro, there's a `dead' period during which no other macro will run. Yet all the responses are based on the idea that the first macro is in fact still running, which amounts to a different problem description. So I ask again that we leave it there. But I'm very grateful for the responses.

I started out by explaining that AFTER running any macro, there's a `dead' period during which no other macro will run. Yet all the responses are based on the idea that the first macro is in fact still running, which amounts to a different problem description. So I ask again that we leave it there. But I'm very grateful for the responses.

Let me get this straight ...

1. You ask for help
  2. State what the symptoms are
  3. Refuse to answer any questions that might help us help you
  4. Accuse those willing to help of changing your problem's description
  5. Then write that you are "grateful"?

What a crock. <EDITED>