Macro Express Forums

'Menu of Macros...' doesn't work

terrypin

I've just started trying the built-in Menu of Macros for Topmost Window but can't get any macro it builds to work. All fail on the very first command, with a message like this:

"Macro Express encountered an error while attempting to read the next macro command..."

Can others successfully use this important feature please? Is there a known problem with it?

---------

Pleased to report that upgrading from 3.7b to Version 3.7d build 1, 3.7.4.1 seems to have fixed this.

Is there any way to get more than 36 macros listed? Joe Weinpert in Macro Express Explained says on page 51 that this is possible, but I don't appear able to do it.

Also, what sequence are they in and can it be changed?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I've just started trying the built-in Menu of Macros for Topmost Window but can't get any macro it builds to work. All fail on the very first command, with a message like this:

"Macro Express encountered an error while attempting to read the next macro command..."

Can others successfully use this important feature please? Is there a known problem with it?

---------

Pleased to report that upgrading from 3.7b to Version 3.7d build 1, 3.7.4.1 seems to have fixed this.

Is there any way to get more than 36 macros listed? Joe Weinpert in Macro Express Explained says on page 51 that this is possible, but I don't appear able to do it.

Also, what sequence are they in and can it be changed?

--

Another one sorted! I found that the total number scoped to the application (for which I was automatically building a menu) just happened to be 36. After increasing it, I did indeed get them all in the menu.

So that just leaves the question about the sequence. <_<

--

Click in the title line. You can sort ascending or descending by name, activation, scope, modified date....

Thanks but I think perhaps you misunderstood? I'm talking about the system macro, "...the built-in Menu of Macros for Topmost Window", which is invoked by Ctl+Shift+Alt+z. Its menu is apparently built automatically, so it's not accessible in Macro Explorer as your solution seems to imply. As far as I can see its sequence seems fixed and follows no logic I can detect!

--

The menu is sorted by macro creation date. The first macro written and saved is the first one listed in the menu. The newest macro is added to the end of the list.

Unfortunately there is not a way to sort this list.

OK, thanks Stan, got it.

I'd suspected that was the order, but it didn't seem to match what I saw. But prompted by your post I've checked an example more methodically and it does indeed square with date of creation. What had thrown me was that I have a fair number of macros scoped to several programs and windows. Viewed in scope order and searching for a specific application, I didn't see some of these until I widened the window and scope column.

It's a neat tool, but pity it can't be hacked to alphabetic. <_<

--