Macro Express Forums

Opening a page in Firefox?

I'm probably making heavy weather of this, but if there are any Firefox users around I'd appreciate some help please.

What's the simplest, most flexible way to write a macro that will activate a specific URL in Firefox? By 'flexible' I mean it must allow for various situations, some easily handled, others giving me more trouble than I'd expected:

1. FF is not yet running.

2. FF is running (not necesarily on top) but that page is not yet opened.

3. FF is running (not necesarily on top), that page is opened in a tab (I keep everything in a single FF window), but it's not the active tab.

4. FF is running (not necesarily on top), that page is already the active tab.

This must be a common requirement for FF users, so I'm wondering if anyone has some finished macro(s) they might share please, so that I don't set about re-inventing the wheel?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

1. FF is not yet running.

2. FF is running (not necesarily on top) but that page is not yet opened.

3. FF is running (not necesarily on top), that page is opened in a tab (I keep everything in a single FF window), but it's not the active tab.

4. FF is running (not necesarily on top), that page is already the active tab.

Hi Terry,

I don't have access to FF at work, so I can't be a whole lot of help here, but 1 and 2 should be fairly simple to write a macro for (as Mozilla Firefox will be in the title bar if an active FF browser is running).

However, I don't know of any way to detect which pages are open in tabs not currently active. If there is a way to do that, I would also be very interested in finding out how. I don't use FF as much as I used to, but if it's possible in FF then it probably is in IE, Opera, and Chrome, too. Could be a very useful tool.

This must be a common requirement for FF users, so I'm wondering if anyone has some finished macro(s) they might share please, so that I don't set about re-inventing the wheel?

I strongly suspect that if this were easily doable, ISS would have done it by now given the hundreds of requests for it. I know that is not an answer, but it is a warning that you could spend a lot of time on it.

On the other hand, it is perfectly doable using IE.

I strongly suspect that if this were easily doable, ISS would have done it by now given the hundreds of requests for it. I know that is not an answer, but it is a warning that you could spend a lot of time on it.

On the other hand, it is perfectly doable using IE.

Thanks both. Unless someone comes up with something clever, I'm beginning to think perhaps I'd be better off ignoring the possibility that it's already open in an existing tab. After opening the page (easy enough) I could then possibly find a way to remove the duplicate if there is one.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks both. Unless someone comes up with something clever, I'm beginning to think perhaps I'd be better off ignoring the possibility that it's already open in an existing tab.

Actually we are all betting on you to come up with something clever so, you know, we wouldn't have to. :blink: Darn.

Prvoided Firefox is your default browser, this is easily accomplished.

in the editor:

Internet > Web Site

enter your URL

from the dropdown menu, select Launch Using Default Web Browser

If firefox is not open, it will open. firefox will launch and your desired site will load. If FF is running, your page automatically opens in a new tab

edit: i am sorry, i just realized you simply want to activate the window, i misread and thought you wanted to launch the url.

i actually figured out a way to do this a while back, ill try to recall and drop back in