Macro Express Forums

Wait for Text Playback - continued problems

I'm still getting unpredictable results with this command. In this simple example it hung at that point. Yet the macro must have executed Alt+F4 because the dialog in which it was applied did close. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <ALT><F4>

Wait for Text Playback

<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT><F4>"/>
<WAIT FOR TEXT PLAYBACK Indefinite="TRUE" Hours="0" Minutes="0" Seconds="0"/>

Anyone else using the command? Having problems with it?

Meanwhile I'll return to using plain vanilla Delays after Text Type commands.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Did you see Joe and I's conversation about this? It's my speculation that there will be applications where this timing control will work brilliantly and other where it will not and we need to experiment to make this determination. I was hoping one of the ISS boys would chime in with a description of how it works behind the scenes so we could better make that determination but...

But how about instead of going back to simple timing delays you use the "Wait at Most" parameter with the same value you would use in your Delay? When the WfTP works you move forward quickly. When it doesn't if functions the same as a Delay.

By the bye for ALT+F4 I would rather opt for Wait for Window to Loose Focus or Wait for Program to Terminate as it's a much more dynamic control. And instead of ALT+F4 I would use Window Close or Program Shutdown commands instead.

Did you see Joe and I's conversation about this? It's my speculation that there will be applications where this timing control will work brilliantly and other where it will not and we need to experiment to make this determination. I was hoping one of the ISS boys would chime in with a description of how it works behind the scenes so we could better make that determination but...

But how about instead of going back to simple timing delays you use the "Wait at Most" parameter with the same value you would use in your Delay? When the WfTP works you move forward quickly. When it doesn't if functions the same as a Delay.

By the bye for ALT+F4 I would rather opt for Wait for Window to Loose Focus or Wait for Program to Terminate as it's a much more dynamic control. And instead of ALT+F4 I would use Window Close or Program Shutdown commands instead.

Thanks Cory, that's helpful. All I saw from Joe was his comment in post #6 of this thread

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3577

where he said (of Wait for Text Playback): "Never had a problem with it. Ever."

So I'm reassured to hear that as well as myself, you at least have found it unpredictable.

That's a neat idea about the "Wait at Most" parameter! And those alternative closing methods too.

It would be good to get some technical advice from ISS, even if only to confirm Joe's assumption (in that same thread) that "...I assume the intention is to simply halt the macro until the keyboard buffer returns NULL or is empty."

--

It makes no sense to Wait for Text to Playback for a single key Alt+F4. The command was designed for situations where the Text Type command could overflow the keyboard buffer. MX Pro, like its predecessors, can push characters into the keyboard buffer faster than the targeted program can extract them. So in order to Text Type long paragraphs into a Word document use Wait for Text to Playback between paragraphs, but don't use it for things like Alt+F4.

It makes no sense to Wait for Text Playback for a single key Alt+F4. The command was designed for situations where the Text Type command could overflow the keyboard buffer. MX Pro, like its predecessors, can push characters into the keyboard buffer faster than the targeted program can extract them. So in order to Text Type long paragraphs into a Word document use Wait for Text Playback between paragraphs, but don't use it for things like Alt+F4.

OK, thanks Floyd, understood.

Cory: That suggestion about getting the optimum solution by using Wait for Text to Playback with a fixed delay unfortunately won't work for me. Being an impatient type, my normal Delay is 100 ms, but the Wait for Text Playback command will only accept a minimum of 1 s. ;) If course, it would be fine for some cases, but not typically for commands inside loops, etc.

--