Macro Express Forums

'Enable Macro' Button Opening Excel Files

tdelios

My Excel file contains macros within it. Therefore when opening up the excel file, I get the 'Security Warning' prompt to press one of the 3 buttons (Disable Macros, Enable Macros and More Info)..

I tried using the 'Get Control' and 'Mouse Click On Control', but for some reason it won't press the 'Enable Macro' button that I need.

I tried using the 'Text Type' to use the TAB and SPACE keyboards to tab over to the button I need and press the space bar, but it won't work either.. infact, if I press the 'Enable Macro' button myself and the excel file opens, then I can see that the tab and space move the cursor within the cells.... but not intelligent enoough to detect it on the Windows Security Prompt for the enabling of the buttons..

Any help would be great!

thanx

Then the amount of time for that to happen to change security and add certificates when the files are not owned by you and they are shared among a few dozen departments on a global scale and to make any type of changes to them requires at least a few dozen sign-offs... ME would be on version 10 by the time I get this process resolved...

Even if security was changable on my machine and not directly affects the excel file. again you have company policy in which the way software is installed and configured has to be sustained as is...

so it would be faster to figure out how to press a simple button or get an answer that it is not technically possible to do what I am asking for...

If the company has put security measures in place that hinder work, they have to decide how to compromise. They could for example put most PCs on an internal network (no more twittering!), no outside access. They could lower security locally and provide higher security at their main firewall or more frequent backups.

Were ME capable of pushing the button overriding the security, the AV software should detect it as possible malware. That could be handled with an ignore list. If Excel has no simple means of making exceptions that's no fault of ME. Every time you make an exception, you are opening a hole for someone to exploit.

If you use ZoneAlarm, you cannot press any of its controls, remotely or with ME. You can only operate them from the attached keyboard and mouse. It's that way for a good reason.

• 4 weeks later...
My Excel file contains macros within it. Therefore when opening up the excel file, I get the 'Security Warning' prompt to press one of the 3 buttons (Disable Macros, Enable Macros and More Info)..

I tried using the 'Get Control' and 'Mouse Click On Control', but for some reason it won't press the 'Enable Macro' button that I need.

I tried using the 'Text Type' to use the TAB and SPACE keyboards to tab over to the button I need and press the space bar, but it won't work either.. infact, if I press the 'Enable Macro' button myself and the excel file opens, then I can see that the tab and space move the cursor within the cells.... but not intelligent enoough to detect it on the Windows Security Prompt for the enabling of the buttons..

Any help would be great!

thanx

I've run in to this as well... You also can't tell it to wait for the Excel file to open as it won't "see" it as open until the Security Warning is taken care of. So instead of trying to find the button, I just told it to wait for the average amount of time it takes for that Security Warning to popup and then hit Alt+E

<ALTD>e<ALTU>

Which is like clicking "Enabled".

If the load times are random (for example, it's a large file on a network share), you could have it do an Alt+E, delay for a moment, then test if the Excel window is on top. If on top, exit the loop, otherwise press Alt+E again, wait, check again and so on...