Macro Express Forums

1) Copying Excel Data to other programs and 2) posting code to this group

1) I have a cell in Excel (e.g. cell A1 assigned the name "projectcode") in Excel. The formula in this cell is the same, but the value often changes. I'd like to use the current value of this cell -- whatever it is -- to paste into Outlook or Windows Explorer, or desktop search, etc. Can MacroExpress help me accomplish this?

2) I've seen other posts where Macro Express code appears to be pasted in it (in "Scripting Editor format"). How do you do this? When I copy code from the scripting editor it looks like this:

<TEXTTYPE:<ESC><ESC>><LAUNCHYES3:0:0112pandora radio<LAUNCH:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe<PARAM>www.pandora.com><MMW2:588,543><LCLK><MMW2:588,436><DELAY:1><LCLK><DELAY:1><LCLK>

Thanks, Jim

1- Yes.

2- You can surround your code with the code tags. That is square bracket "code" closed square bracket. Then at the end use "/code" with the square brackets. If you want to get the display text in the scripting editor highlight, right click and choose to copy command text.

1- Yes.

2- You can surround your code with the code tags. That is square bracket "code" closed square bracket. Then at the end use "/code" with the square brackets. If you want to get the display text in the scripting editor highlight, right click and choose to copy command text.

1. does accomplishing this require months of experience with macro express? If not, can someone give me a hint as to how to get started on it?

2. How do I "surround my code with square brackets"? (I use the direct editor.) And what does "at the end use "/code" with square brackets" mean? i copied and pasted the text from the scripting editor to this post and it gets pasted like the text in the direct text editor. Was hoping there's an easy way to copy and paste code so that forum readers can more easily read it (i.e. scripting editor format).

1. does accomplishing this require months of experience with macro express? If not, can someone give me a hint as to how to get started on it?

This was hurried, but something like the following. My spreadsheet looks like this:

Excel%2BMEPro-1.jpg

Window Activate: JimExample-1 // Activate the spreadsheet (assumed open).

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><HOME> // Select A1.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>c // Copy its value to the clipboard.

Activate or Launch: Window "Notepad", Program "NOTEPAD.EXE", Parameters ""

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL>v // Paste.

2. How do I "surround my code with square brackets"? (I use the direct editor.) And what does "at the end use "/code" with square brackets" mean? i copied and pasted the text from the scripting editor to this post and it gets pasted like the text in the direct text editor. Was hoping there's an easy way to copy and paste code so that forum readers can more easily read it (i.e. scripting editor format).

Here's the code for the above macro. I clicked the Direct Editor button, used Ctl+a top select it all, and copied it to clipboard with Ctl+c. Then here in the message window I clicked the icon that looks like this <>, (its pop-up says 'Insert code snippet') then inside those two separators I pasted the code.

<WINDOW ACTIVATE Title="JimExample-1" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" _IGNORE="0x0006" _COMMENT="Activate the spreadsheet (assumed open)."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL><HOME>" _COMMENT="Select A1."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>c" _COMMENT="Copy its value to the clipboard."/>
<ACTIVATE OR LAUNCH Title="Notepad" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>v" _COMMENT="Paste."/>

You can now reverse that process to save yourself typing my macro's script. Just open a new macro and paste that code into its Direct Editor window.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

2- The code tags are what you put here in the forum. Nothing to do with MEP. When you post or preview it will be apparent. Like here I just put "Some code" between the code tags.

Some code