Macro Express Forums

'Window is Opened': unreliable?

I don't try to use the Window is Opened activation method very often but when I do it rarely seems to work for me. In the macro I'm currently writing, the target window is titled 'Audio Recording' and it's a dialog opened by my video editor, Movie Edit Pro (MEP). The macro never fires when the window is opened. The alternative Window gains Focus is OK, but doesn't meet my needs.

Any feedback/suggestions welcomed pleased.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks both.

I don't think I've ever even noticed Process Event before! But I'm having trouble identifying the process in this case. Later today I'll dust off SysInternals Process Monitor and see if that helps spot it.

BTW, have either of you ever used a System Event activation? I'll have to study it as I don't grasp it at first reading of Help.

--

I don't think I've ever even noticed Process Event before! But I'm having trouble identifying the process in this case. Later today I'll dust off SysInternals Process Monitor and see if that helps spot it.

Wait until the app's window opens, start Task Manager, use the Applications tab, right-click on your app's window name and select Go To Process.

BTW, have either of you ever used a System Event activation? I'll have to study it as I don't grasp it at first reading of Help.

No, but, under Windows 7 Professional, I do have this scheduled event, which runs when I awake the machine from standby:

- Trigger: On an event

- Log: System

- Source: Power-Troubleshooter

- Event ID: 1

Using this scheduled task, I can, of course, run a macro if I want.

Thanks Paul, but XP TM shows only the application's process, videodeluxe.exe. No additional entry appears when I open the Audio recording dialog.

Screenshot of XP TM with MEP running and its 'child' dialog window 'Audio Recording' also open.

Nor did anything jump out at me in the hundreds of entries generated by ProcMon when the window was opened. Something must happen, but darned if I know what!

Setting that puzzle aside for a while, I've worked around it by activating a slightly modified version of my macro with a hotkey. The macro then first uses a TextType to enter MEP's own KB shortcut for opening the Audio Recording window (and then proceeds to do its stuff). Seems to work.

Still love to know why Window is Opened doesn't work...

--