Macro Express Forums

When I want import a configuration file, why I encounter with error?!!!

Hi

In silent install When I want import a configuration file ( .wcfg), I encounter with this error:

Macro Express Pro

Could not import the program configuration due to the following error:

A name was started with an invalid character.

Line: 2175

<$Unknown>

Filename: C:\file.wcfg

OK

What is this error and how can eliminate it?!

Thanks very much

First I suggest you start a support incident with ISS.

I don't know what that error is but if you attached it I could take a look at it and see if there is anything hinky.

BTW you don't need the entire contents. The WCFG contains all the settings including the defaults so if you only wanted to change a few things delete everything else besides those relevant lines. Odds are this could solve your problem right now.

First I suggest you start a support incident with ISS.

I don't know what that error is but if you attached it I could take a look at it and see if there is anything hinky.

BTW you don't need the entire contents. The WCFG contains all the settings including the defaults so if you only wanted to change a few things delete everything else besides those relevant lines. Odds are this could solve your problem right now.

1. what is "ISS" ?!

2. I wanted attach this file but encountered with this error:

"You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Can give me your email please, to send it for you?

thanks

file.zip

1. Insight Software Solutions, Inc., the makers of MEP. http://macros.com/support.htm

2. I'll send you a PM but you could also ZIP the file and upload that.

1. I speak with ISS and answer me !!! :

" It looks like the .wcfg file was created with v4.3.0.1 of Macro Express Pro. We have made some changes to fix some of these type errors. I would suggest downloading and installing the latest version, 4.4.1.1, which includes these fixes. Try exporting and importing from the later version. This should take care of the problem. "

2. thanks very much :) , but attach this file in this PM to continue conversation completely.

The error is correct. "$Unknown" is not a valid file name. ISS should have written the MEP code to handle this. This occurs in the Quick_Start_Guide section which is probably not necessary. You can fix this file by deleting lines 2170 through and including 2185. IE <Quick_Start_Guide> to </Quick_Start_Guide>.

The error is correct. "$Unknown" is not a valid file name. ISS should have written the MEP code to handle this. This occurs in the Quick_Start_Guide section which is probably not necessary. You can fix this file by deleting lines 2170 through and including 2185. IE <Quick_Start_Guide> to </Quick_Start_Guide>.

Thanks very much. :)

Excuse me; I don’t understand your help exactly! :unsure: Can you edit file.wcfg and attach it to your PM please?

You don't know how to edit a text file? Well OK.... I'll do it for you. See attached.

I can edit this file but I understand your purpose now! Excuse me; my mother language isn't English…

Thanks, this edited file change preference but if import this file from macro express player encounter with this error:

"Macro Express Pro

Access violation at address 0083E822 in module 'MacExp.exe'. Read of address 00000000

Filename: C:\Users\Saleh\Downloads\file.wcfg

OK"

Or if import this file from macro express editor encounter with this error:

"Macro Express Pro Explorer

Access violation at address 0087D374 in module 'macedit.exe'. Read of address 00000000

Filename: C:\Users\Saleh\Downloads\file.wcfg

OK"

I don't want display this error.

Thanks very much.

Darn, I thought that would work. I have no idea about the other errors. I think ISS support would be the only ones to help you with that. Or you might try what I did and that is to identify the bits you want and strip out everything else. Below is an example of one I made for a client for an unattended install. Note it is only 32 lines long.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Macro_Express_Pro_Preferences>
<Macro_Express_Pro_Preferences version="4.0.3.1">
<!-- Windows version 5.0.2195 -->
  <Macro_Express_Pro>
    <PerMachine>
      <Email_Server>
        <Server type="string">Server</Server>
      </Email_Server>
      <Files>
        <file_0 type="string">\\server\ipdata\Apps\Macros\IPSD.mex</file_0>
      </Files>
      <Playback>
        <Abort_Key type="integer">3</Abort_Key>
        <Pause_Key type="integer">2</Pause_Key>
      </Playback>
      <ShortKeys>
        <Use_Suffix type="integer">1</Use_Suffix>
      </ShortKeys>
      <System_Tray>
        <Left_Click_Action type="integer">1</Left_Click_Action>
        <Left_Click_Macro type="string">Main</Left_Click_Macro>
        <Left_Click_Macro_File type="string">\\server\ipdata\Apps\Macros\IPSD.mex</Left_Click_Macro_File>
      </System_Tray>
      <ShortKeys>
        <Use_Suffix type="integer">1</Use_Suffix>
      </ShortKeys>
    </PerMachine>
  </Macro_Express_Pro>
  <Quick_Start_Guide>
  </Quick_Start_Guide>
</Macro_Express_Pro_Preferences>

I solve this problem by deleting lines between <Quick_Start_Guide> and </Quick_Start_Guide>

BTW thanks for helps.

Now I have an important and fundamental question:

Can import this Preference (options) in file setup.exe? So when setup ME(without .wcfg file), I see my options?

I think my mistake was deleting the <Quick_Start_Guide> tags themselves.

You can not embed this WCFG file in anyway. You need to specify it as part of your install package.