Macro Express Forums

Newbee install "Portable" question

I just installed Pro Portable, but it installed on my HHD, not my flash drive. Do I need to use custom install to force it to install on my Flash drive?

I don't know but I recommend you ask ISS http://macros.com/contact.htm directly. They are usually very quick to respond.Probably faster than this user to user forum.

Thanks, I'll bookmark that link for future reference.

I figured the answer out. Turns out there is a specific Portable dl link, which explains that the program must be installed, and run, on the thumb drive.

The question now is; can I remove the dl'd program file, once the program has been installed in it's own folder?

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1RiZ3HlF50nbtix2JoVy3hWjIbzwiL

Michael,

Because it is the portable version, you can simply copy the files on your flash drive. No install needed.

Not certain about that; see my post to Cory. I initially installed the program on my HHD and the key produced an; "invalid" message. Not until I dl'd the program file onto my flash drive,and installed it there, did the key work.

Note that the portable version does things that are helpful on a removeable drive but may not be on your main hard drive. One such feature is to place an autorun.inf file on the root of the drive to customize the icon for the drive.

Not sure I follow you. I bought the portable version, assuming that it ran the same on the flash drive as it does on my computer's HHD. I have two computers and since the program can only be installed on one I opted for the Portable version.

The question that occurs to me now is that my new computer; a high end laptop, is running Win8 while my desktop top is running a 64 bit version of WIn7. Will there be a compatibility problem with the macro's I create on one and run on the other? Or should I create separate macros to run on each machine?

The portable version is written specifically for drives that can be removed from time to time. The standard version is meant to be installed on a drive that doesn't get removed.

Your comment about licensing is a little confusing. If you have a 1-user license for the portable version then you should only be using it on one computer at a time. You can move it from computer to computer because it is portable. But if you install it on your HDD then I'm not sure the license allows you to use it on a flash drive for your other computer.

The macros will run on either version of Windows. However, the parts of your macros that rely on things that change between Windows 7 and 8 may need to be written in a way that accomodates both. Just as one example, a macro written on Windows XP using the Calculater needed adjustments because the calculator program on Windows 7 was different. (I don't know if the Windows 8 calculator is different than the one on Windows 7 though.)

Your comment about licensing is a little confusing. If you have a 1-user license for the portable version then you should only be using it on one computer at a time. You can move it from computer to computer because it is portable. But if you install it on your HDD then I'm not sure the license allows you to use it on a flash drive for your other computer.

Sorry about the confusion. The license is spectific for the portable version; which is why it wouldn't work the first time.

The file I dl didn't specify "portable"; so it didn't come with the portable instructions and installed on the HHD by default. Later, when I went back the Portable version was listed, so I deleted the version I'd installed, and followed the instructions provided with the portable file; which was to copy the file directly to the thumb drive.