Macro Express Forums

macro express backup files -- security concern - plain text

hi,

just noticed that the macro express backup files are not encrypted. I have a bunch of macros that are password protected, but you can still see all of the text strings in the backup file. Does anyone have a solution to encrypting the variables so it doesnt show up as plain text in the backup files?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Are you saving a password in a script which you've used the 'encrypted text' command and don't want to reveal it in a backup file?

Or are you password protecting the script file(s) and don't want the scripts revealed in a backup file?

Not understanding the 'text box with line breaks in between' reference.

To not allow the backup file(s) to be revealed, specify in the Preferences, the file path which 'backups' are saved to and ensure they are saved to a secured drive and NOT the same place the *.mex file(s) is.

Or don't use the provided backup option. Backup the *.mex file(s) to a safe location regularly and not worry about backup files which aren't password protected. This is the route I chose btw. Make zero backups using the Preferences and make them on your own. You can always create a script to make that backup for you!

Someone please correct me if my understanding of this concept is wrong but, how does having 10 backups(the default in MEP) in the same place avoid data loss if that volume is destroyed or otherwise becomes corrupted? Unless it's 10 backups in 10 different places...but alas, it doesn't appear that the options allow that.

that seems to be only one line entry... i have a bunch of password that i just put in a text box with line breaks in between. how do you go about doing that?

if macro express made backups without showing the variables exposed, this would solve alot of problems.

how does having 10 backups(the default in MEP) in the same place avoid data loss if that volume is destroyed or otherwise becomes corrupted?

It doesn't. It would be a good idea to change the preferences to save the backup files on a different drive in case your main drive gets damaged. If you want backups stored in multiple locations you could have a macro do that.

I like that Macro Express saves multiple backups though. If I edit Macro B (overwriting some of the backup files) and later decide I want to get an earlier version of Macro A, I can.