Macro Express Forums

How to recognise DVD/CD insertion

Dear All,

I searched te forums, but do not seem to be able to find anything on this matter.

I want to recognise if a DVD/CD is inserted in an optical drive, and depending perform certain actions. I thought to do this by checking if a drive/folder/file exists on the supposed inserted DVD/CD. In case there's no optical disc inserted though an exception error c0000013 occurs which can't be handled using the catch error method.

-How do you people deal with checking if a DVD/CD is inserted in the optical drive, or at least recognise if so?

Thanks for any hints and tips provided.

Best regards,

Hi,

The simplest way I would approach it would be to start my macro with:

Open Folder in Explorer to "D:\"
where D: is my optical drive.

Then I'd have it test which of these windows appears:

MX-DetectDisc.jpg

MX-NoDisc.jpg

Alternatively, and more elegantly, there may be a script around somewhere that would return a YES or NO or similar. But I couldn't find it in a fair bit of googling so resorted to the above.

As for the window identification, If MX doesn't recognise their respective titles (it sometimes fails) then pixel testing might do it.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks terrypin,

For what I wanted to so with it, I've in the mean time found a program called AutoCopy which will do the trick to copy content to HD automatically.

I was looking for this because I wanted to copy, and recode some of the 600+ VCD's/SVCD's I made in the past, for use with a mediaplayer on my network.

For the sake of wanting to know, I've been looking more deeply in the problem too, and I think it has something to do with the type of DVD there's in my computer, a DVD-RAM. It opens an empty window, even when there's no CD/DVD in it.

Your tip though might just work, and I going to have a look into it anyway. Just for the sake of curiousity.

Thanks again.