Macro Express Forums

Macro Hanging, how to tell where

SteveR

I am having a reliability problem with a macro. It will run anywhere from a few to several hundred times okay, then it will stop. I assume it is at one of my wait for commands, but how can I tell where it has stopped? That would be a big help in understanding what I need to fix.

One approach would be to scatter commands "Log Message to Default Error Log" at a few (or many) key spots in the macro. Start by putting them just before the "wait for" situations that you suspect. Just number the messages sequentially. Then after a failure you can review the log and see what was the last message logged and that should put you close to the problem spot.

I have used log messages extensively for debugging and the macros still ran very fast. Generally I would have a "trace" switch I could turn on and off, stored in an environment variable, and the macros would bypass logging when the switch was off. For your one-time search for this problem, you don't have to get that fancy.

Attached is the macro I am working with. There are a number of waits which are indefinite. When the macro "fails" it is stopped somewhere I assume on a wait. I can abort the macro with the hotkey. Most of the time at present, the screen shows the open file window. The macro has a wait for this window, I do not know if it is waiting or has gone past it (perhaps the application ignoring the text the macro types) or exactly what is happening.

Upg.mex

I changed all of the indefinite waits to time out after 30 seconds. This seems to give me meaningful error messages so I can chase down the problem. I guess I was confused and thought the macro would continue after a wait timeout. Having it abort and provide appropriate message is great.