Macro Express Forums

Variable that defies deletion

I'm writing a complex macro with around 60 variables, including these two text variables:
tMMGrossAsc
tMMGrossDesc

They appear correctly in the list under the Variables tab.

But in addition the following strange string also appears in the list:
tMMGrossAsc%/%tMMGrossDesc

And it won't be deleted! It returns when the macro is re-opened, at the bottom of the list.

I'm quietly ignoring it, as it doesn't seem to affect the macro's operation. Looks like some sort of corruption.

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen anything similar please - a variable that won't go away?

Needless to say, at no stage in my macro am I attempting a division of those two variables, or any other text variables for that matter!

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I'm sorry but I've never seen anything like that. I agree with your assessment if it is as you describe. Perhaps export and import the macro. But more it sounds like you need to start a support ticket with ISS.

There are times when it's worthwhile to abandon a macro and recreate it entirely from scratch. I have wondered whether a form of instability sets in after messing with the variables: copying, renaming, attempting to switch from one type to another, etc.

I have seen text variables that, beyond a certain point, are not recognized as text variables. When this happens, I either delete and recreate the variables (usually with different names), or start again.

Paradoxically, it may be faster to start from scratch than to repair a complex macro. Subtle logical or syntactical errors can creep in when reworking a complicated macro.

Thanks Alan, that's my general feeling too. Some obscure corruption. But for the time being, while it remains 'passive', I'll press on. Rewriting would be a major pain.

Hopefully, using a copy of the macro, ISS Support may be able to isolate the cause and fix it.

Turned out to be down to an invalid command that I never found but happily ISS did.

Variable Modify String %tResult%: Append Text String Variable

(%tMMGrossAsc%/%tMMGrossDesc%)

Now realise that was my careless mistake in trying to add two variables, separated by a text character, in a single command. ISS are looking at how the program's syntax checking allowed it.