Macro Express Forums

Startup queries

I'm exploring the way ME Pro starts at Win 10 boot up time.

I have this entry in the Startup folder:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\MeProc.exe
Without that, ME Pro does not start automatically.

But I also found an entry in Task Scheduler, one I vaguely recall creating last summer, soon after installing this PC. I suspect incorrectly.

Name: Macro Express Admin.
Triggers tab: At log on of any user.
General tab: Run only when user is logged on. Run with highest privileges.
Actions tab: Start a program
%windir%\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Macro Express Admin" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro\meproc.exe"

Q1: Why isn't this Task Scheduler entry sufficient - IOW, why do I need the entry in the Startup folder?

Q2: How do other users handle startup? (Regardless of OS version).

Q3: All other executables in my Task Scheduler are in the familiar form (like the one in my Startup folder), so why is this one is so different, i.e. via cmd.exe?
(But Right-click  > Run does successfully start ME Pro.)

Q4: How do I avoid the message "Let this program make changes...") ?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I had MEP deployed to an office of users and struggled with startup. Not only startup but ensuring that the company standard macro file loaded and that several environmental settings were in order. Also that the macro wasn't already running under another user profile. What I found to be most reliable was to add entries to the RUN key of the registry. Everything therein runs at startup. 

The only way I am aware of to run Macro Express Pro as administrator without the UAC prompt is via the Task Scheduler. Your description of the task in Task Scheduler differs from this documentation: How to Run Macro Express as Administrator when Windows Starts. That example does not use cmd.exe.

Because I do not load Macro Express Pro as admin I use the standard Macro Express Pro startup option found in Options, Preferences, Startup.

If a startup macro does not consistently run when Macro Express Pro is loaded when Windows starts you may want to try the "Wait for [  ] seconds before initializing the program" setting found in Options, Preferences, Startup. This article has more information: Startup macros do not work when Macro Express is loaded when Windows starts.