Macro Express Forums

Appearing Choices in Multiple Choice Menu / Disabling Variables

Greetings!

Sorry, if a topic like this already exists. After a real quick search I didn't find anything.

I am generating four variables. First three I give five different words. The last one I give two.

I create a Multiple Choice Menu. I set these four variables in this Menu.

I want to deactivate the last three variables. Thus, I want only five items to be shown in my Multiple Choice Menu, trough only the first variable.

As something happens later and I activate another variable, more choices would appear on my Menu.

1. Can this be achieved in any way?

2. Can I setup later "If you choose this option, something happens" for every word I have set up in each variable? (all 17 words appear on my Menu, when all four variables are abled. This is a promising attention)

Thanks in advance! ^^

If I remember correctly one can make a single variable of multiple strings separated with a newline (Carriage Return + Line Feed). Then take the letter value (not the string) of the line they choose and use that in your logic. I can try it in a couple hours. Or you can experiment with it now. 

Hi,

I added a TBD with one line for each of your variables to demonstrate that you are inserting possibly unwanted CR/LF (Return) characters.

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs20 Act I\\f1  = \\f0 %Act I%\r\n\\par Act I Trade\\f1  = \\f0 %Act I Trade%\r\n\\par Act II\\f1  = \\f0 %Act II%\r\n\\par Act II Trade\\f1  = \\f0 %Act II Trade%\r\n\\par Act III\\f1  = \\f0 %Act III%\r\n\\par Act III Trade\\f1  = \\f0 %Act III Trade%\r\n\\par Act IV\\f1  = \\f0 %Act IV%\r\n\\par Act IV Trade\\f1  = \\f0 %Act IV Trade%\r\n\\par \\f1 Act V =  \\f0 %Act V%\r\n\\par \r\n\\par \r\n\\par \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="469" Top="485" Width="368" Height="493" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>

Results of the TBD (21 lines):

Act I = True
Act I Trade = Water Flasks
Food
Herbs
Basic Ores
Potions
Act II = False
Act II Trade = Clothing
Writing Instruments
Tools
Construction Utensils
Music Instruments
Act III = False
Act III Trade = Pelts
Weapons
Gems
Siege Engines
Act IV = False
Act IV Trade = Magic Crystals
Mythic Ores
Act V =  False

But I'm confused on several points. You say "I am generating four variables," but I see nine text variables, including 'Act V', which I guess is redundant or spare? Did you mean to assign TRUE or FALSE to some additional Boolean varables, or what?

That aside, you say "First three I give five different words," but you are actually creating five different lines. Are these are some kind of 'set' or 'package'? If so, why not use commas or '/' between them, for example?

As the saying goes, 'The devil is in the details'!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I am happy that you are asking! ^^

I have four variables, which creates five text variables.

If only Act I is active, only five text choices are visible in the Multiple Choice Menu. If both Act I and II are active, ten text choices are active in the same Menu, and so on. Act V has no text variables at all. I am supposed to code each text variable in the Multiple Choice Menu within the act variables, so something happens when you choose whatever text variable is listed in the Menu.

I wanted to set those Act -variables true or false. I have no knowledge of any Boolean stuff.

I don't know anything about those lines and packages. I hope my explanation in this reply clarifies something?

Please, ask more if you need to know about more stuff ^^

I still don'tunderstand what you mean by statements like "I have four variables, which creates five text variables." How? Nothing in the extract you've shown us appears to cover that? Or how you have designed your multiple choice menu?

Maybe someone with a better grasp than me can help you.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If you can't see anything covering it up, it must mean I don't have it. Then it's missing and I need it.

This is how it would go in my thought:

1. In the beginning, a variable called Act I is true and Acts II-V are false.

1.5. In the beginning, Act I is showing five items in my Multiple Choice Menu it should show, since the first Act is active and the rest are inactive

2. I can manipulate these five items/elements within my Multiple Choice Menu, which open their own behaviours when I use/choose them

3. During the process, something happens, and a new/another variable, called Act II, becomes true, or active, as well

3.5 Because Act II becomes active, it adds five more elements to choose from at the same Multiple Choice Menu we had in the beginning

So now I have Act I and Act II active/true, while the Acts III-V are false, or inactive

4. As soon as the second Act becomes active, five more options appear in my Multiple Choice Menu I started with, thus making ten items available for choosing

5. Continue the steps for Acts III and IV, until, in the end, all five are active, giving me seventeen options to choose from, in the same Multiple Choice Menu

Feel free to let me know, how this is achieved.

I haven't done this before - this is why I am asking for help ^^

And I am sorry, if I have been unclear so far =(