Macro Express Forums

File not found / file access denied loop

Karlbu

Just downloaded 3.11 and when attempting to run it after installation I receive two errors (see attached screen shots).

The errors are:

1. File not found.

2. Could not save file / access denied

Both errors cycle in a loop, which I am unable to break.  It's necessary to use task manager to close MacroExpress.

I had previously moved macex.mex version (3.10) to another drive on my (inside the router) network.  When version 3.10 couldn't find the file, a window popped up allowing me to point to the macex file on the net, and then everything was fine.  I don't receive that pop-up with 3.11.

Also, I am unable to file a support request through https://www.macros.com/supportrequest.htm   When I attempt to send the form the send to   

https://www.isssvr.net/cgi-bin/ttcgi.exe

times out.  This happens on both Firefox and Edge.  So something appears to be amiss with the request form.

Thanks for your assistance.

access denied.png

file not found.png

On 11/11/2017 at 12:51 PM, Karlbu said:

I am unable to file a support request through https://www.macros.com/supportrequest.htm   When I attempt to send the form the send to https://www.isssvr.net/cgi-bin/ttcgi.exe  times out.  This happens on both Firefox and Edge.  So something appears to be amiss with the request form.

Due to a drunk driver, the power was out in the city where our data center is housed for 31 hours over the weekend. The Support Request form is back up and running.

Don't drink and drive!

As you observed, when Macro Express is unable locate the macro file it should display a dialog allowing you to load the correct file. Our developers say that it is likely caused because of the "File access denied" message. This is different than "File not found".

Make sure that you have full access to the folder where the macro file you are trying to load is located. Also, since your macro file is on a network drive it is possible that the file is accessible when Macro Express starts.  When a macro file is stored on a network drive it is possible that Windows will try to start Macro Express before the drive mapping is established. If this is the case use the "Wait for " option found in Options, Preferences, Startup to tell Macro Express to wait a while before trying to load the macro file.

Here are some other suggestions if that does not help:

1. Restore the macro file in the previous location. Launch Macro Express and click File, Open Macro file to load the macro file from the new location.

2. Make sure Macro Express is not running. In the folder where Macro Express is installed click on the MacDef.exe program. This will reset the preferences including the path to the macro file to load. After resetting the preferences start Macro Express and then click File, Open Macro file to load the macro file from the new location.

3. Uninstall and reinstall Macro Express. Then click File, Open Macro file to load the macro file from the new location.

Note: It is not a good idea to move the macro file without loading the file in the new location first.

Hello Kevin -- Thank you for your explanations.  I thought it odd and uncharacteristic of your website form not to work.  31-hour outage for an entire city ... nice handiwork.  Must have been quite a party (or bottle).

My issue was solved with your response list #1 and #3.

Thanks!  I am a longtime MEX user, so was a bit panicky for the past 48-hours.  Feel better now.  Think I'll go have a drink.

(Just kidding).

Karl