Macro Express Forums

Excel Activate Workbook

joe

Having trouble getting Macro Express to pop up an Excel workbook? When using Microsoft Excel with multiple open workbooks, Macro Express can see only the active workbook and not those which lie underneath. In other words, it can only see whichever workbook is currently displayed in the Excel window title. The Macro Express "Activate Window" command is rendered useless in this situation.

Here is a solution.

Attached to this topic is a zipped help (.chm) file that explains all. Just download, unzip, and read it. NOTE: After unzipping the CHM file, you might have to "Unlock" it. Microsoft has a security feature that prevents viewing a CHM file if it was copied from a network or downloaded. Simply right-click on the file and choose "Properties". Click on the "Unlock" button at the bottom of the General tab, then "Apply". That's it.

At some point we will be adding this, and other solutions, to our web site.

Help_Active_Window.zip

• 3 months later...

This works great. Can a wildcard be used for the tail end of the filename? I have many files that need the same macro. All the files start with "Forecast" and then have business units and dates as the rest of the file name before the ".XLS". Only one file will be open at a time. It would be nice not to have to type each file name in.

Yes, the microwave is too slow for me...

Can a wildcard be used for the tail end of the filename?

No. But I like the idea and can see the benefit. This particular applet is not examining file names, but rather the DOM objXL.Workbooks.Name, so it would require converting a wildcard string passed by the user into a regular expression pattern and then finding the first match.

We are currently working on a library of Excel commands to be accessed directly from Macro Express. So, this feature may show up there instead of here ... or both.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Joe,

I'm working extensively with Excel® and having all sorts of grief. Navigation and timing issues for the most part. Will you be doing a section on Excel® on your site?

FWIW, If you only have two workbooks open, sending ALT+F2 (type "F" then type "2", not the F2 key) to the keyboard is a decent toggle between them.

Another game is simply to record a VBA macro Excel® and save it in your person macros so it is available in any workbook. This is triggered by a hot key. So send that hot key to the keyboard with the text type command and you change to the desired window. You need a hotkey defined (ie, a VBA Macro) for each window but very quick to set up. Sample code:

-----------------------------------

Sub DEMO_CHNGE_WRKBK()

'

' DEMO_CHNGE_WRKBK Macro

' Macro recorded 4/1/2011 byPITA_Pan

'

' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+Z

'

Windows("test.xls").Activate

End Sub

-----------------------------------

I'm using this sort of game to navigate around the sheets. I may want to add columns later so I go to named cells.

--------------------------------

Sub GO_TO_LOG_DTV()

'

' GO_TO_LOG_DTV macro

' go to log dtv

'

' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+D

'

Application.Goto Reference:="DTV"

End Sub

-------------------------------

must be something more elegant.....

Having trouble getting Macro Express to pop up an Excel workbook? When using Microsoft Excel with multiple open workbooks, Macro Express can see only the active workbook and not those which lie underneath. In other words, it can only see whichever workbook is currently displayed in the Excel window title. The Macro Express "Activate Window" command is rendered useless in this situation.

Here is a solution.

Attached to this topic is a zipped help (.chm) file that explains all. Just download, unzip, and read it. NOTE: After unzipping the CHM file, you might have to "Unlock" it. Microsoft has a security feature that prevents viewing a CHM file if it was copied from a network or downloaded. Simply right-click on the file and choose "Properties". Click on the "Unlock" button at the bottom of the General tab, then "Apply". That's it.

At some point we will be adding this, and other solutions, to our web site.