Macro Express Forums

Logging errors w/o logging start & stop

How do I log errors without also logging the start and stop of the macro?

If I choose to log errors in a macro from the miscellaneous tab it will also log each stop and start. I could care less when the macro was run, I want to know when it fails. In this case I have a macro that runs every minute on 20+ user PCs and I want to capture a poorly described and never recorded failure that occurs about once a week. IE how do I avoid the 50k+ log entries? Furthermore if I want the macro to email me failures I get a gazillion emails.

If this is by design it's a poor design and we should have separate check boxes for logging starts and stops.

If I choose to log errors in a macro from the miscellaneous tab it will also log each stop and start. I could care less when the macro was run, I want to know when it fails. In this case I have a macro that runs every minute on 20+ user PCs and I want to capture a poorly described and never recorded failure that occurs about once a week. IE how do I avoid the 50k+ log entries? Furthermore if I want the macro to email me failures I get a gazillion emails.

If this is by design it's a poor design and we should have separate check boxes for logging starts and stops.

hear hear

Although I have not looked at this in depth, I did do some experimenting and I can find no way to prevent the Start/Stop entries when using the Miscellaneous tab. It seems that all logging except the Log Error command place both a Start and a Stop entry into a log.

According to ISS this is "as designed". I'm not so annoyed that it logs starts and stops, I'm just annoyed that this makes the email option is tied to it. I mean who wants to get an email every time a user doesn't have a problem with a macro? :) I plan on submitting a feature request.