Macro Express Forums

rename folder & files having specials characters

james123

Hello,

I'm searching this forum for 1 hour... and could not get any post talking about this problem... but I feel it probably has been discuss already... anyway here is my problem:

Rename this folder ( wich include some special characters not ascii...)

月2011月

to this:

So, in other words, make a macro wich will REMOVE all chars not ASCII ( or ANSI ) from the FILENAMES or FOLDERS ...

Macro express 3 ( and 4 ) return this ?2011? so I canot say replace "?" since original name include 月 and not ?

Note: Using Win XP.

I know macro express is limited reguarding character set... but hopully someone probably have a solution...

Also, a solution may be to use an .exe COMMAND LINE UTILITY to do such work... if anyone knows about a freeware utility to solve this case ?

Thank in advance for any kind repply.

James ( From France, Native French speaker )

I do not have time right now to create a sample macro but you could try something like this:

- Use a 'Repeat with folder' loop to get the name of each folder.

- Create a loop to process through each character of the folder name copying only the valid ASCII letters to another variable.

- Use the If Variable command to see if the variable containing the original name and the new name are different.

- If different, use those variables in the Rename File or Folder command to rename the folder.

I do not have time right now to create a sample macro but you could try something like this:

- Use a 'Repeat with folder' loop to get the name of each folder.

- Create a loop to process through each character of the folder name copying only the valid ASCII letters to another variable.

- Use the If Variable command to see if the variable containing the original name and the new name are different.

- If different, use those variables in the Rename File or Folder command to rename the folder.

Tks for your repply.

Since yesterday... I've tried many things and your suggestion but I canot make it working!

The loop with picking each caracter is easy but the problem persist. As an example, if you try to assign to %T1% the value: 月 you can see it when entering it but after if you double cli to load and see contens of T1...it says: "?" !

Actually my prolem can maybe describe another way if I'm not wrong: how to turn arround the fact that ME is NOT UNICODE compatible !?

I am still trying to turn arround this problem... so, if you have any solution wich works, I would be happy.

Tks in advance. James

PS: I have made today anoter new post ... trying other way to turn arround those special chars ...unicode...

So, I'm still hardly loocking for a solution...

I have had some success in a macro doing a double or triple click on a Unicode string and then pasting it into Excel. As long as the Unicode is only in the clipboard, ME can't turn it into ??s.

Once in Excel perhaps a formula can be used to get the wanted ASCII version?

Kind of a kludge to use Excel as part of your macro, but if you're not looking for elegance it might work.

I have had some success in a macro doing a double or triple click on a Unicode string and then pasting it into Excel. As long as the Unicode is only in the clipboard, ME can't turn it into ??s.

Once in Excel perhaps a formula can be used to get the wanted ASCII version?

Kind of a kludge to use Excel as part of your macro, but if you're not looking for elegance it might work.

Well...thank you but as you says " kind of kludge..." ... i wish to find a more elegant way...

I was working a bit more arround and foud some commands working ok with unicode:

UNICODE ok = COPY a LINE from FILE 1 ( UNICODE FILE ) to FILE 2 ( UNICODE FILE )

With file d:\temp.txt having the line: ?2011?

<REM2:UNICODE ok = COPY a LINE from FILE 1 ( UNICODE FILE ) to FILE 2 ( UNICODE FILE )><TVAR2:04:01:d:\temp.html><TVAR2:01:04:d:\temp.txt><TMVAR2:20:01:00:000:000:%T4%F>

Also working: doing a copy string

<TMVAR2:09:02:01:000:000:>

Also working:

copy the folder NAME ( or structure ) to a file ( with a CMD dos command and the switch /U for UNICODE...

<TVAR2:03:01:D:\TEST_UNICODE><TVAR2:04:01:d:\temp.txt><REM2:_____________________________________ RESET FILE T4><TVAR2:01:01:><TMVAR2:17:01:00:000:000:%T4%F><TVAR2:03:01:dir "%T3%" /AD /B /N /S >> "%T4%"><REM2:_____________________________________ COMMAND CMD avec swithc /u (UNICODE)><LAUNCHDEL2:0:01C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe<PARAM>/u /c %T3%3>

Then , see also my post :

http://pgmacros.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4769

wich somehow a continuation in the DOS CMD search direction...

If you , or others , have more ideas... I would apreciate.

Also, I was googlising a lot thos past days to fin a utility wich would STRIP (DELETE or replace ) the unicode chars in FILENAMES AND FOLDERS...

But I ccould not really find anything good.

The only utility ( DOS COMMAND LINE ) I was thinking it may do the job was:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

..it supposed to replace accents (éàü...) -> eau ...but I could not do it... ( I have to admit I could understand so much this software...)

if anyone knows how to use it ? Then, maybe this command line can do the UNICODE STRIP JOB ?