Macro Express Forums

New To Macros

Spiro

Hello,

I have never used macros before and I recently come to realize thier potential for making my life easier both at the office and at home. I would like to know if it is possible to work in one application window, while a macro is working in another application window in the background. If someone could give me an idea as to how this can be achieved I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanx

Spiro

Normally, no. Windows sends all keystrokes and mouse movements/clicks to the application that has "focus."

However, if you avoid certain types of macro commands, you can send macros to certain applications that do not have focus. For example, you may be able to use Window Controls to send mouse clicks, text type information and get the contents of input fields.

The attached macro uses notepad and calculator to demonstrate how this could work. Calculator is launched and hidden. Notepad uses calculator to add some numbers together and display the result.

calc_notepad.mex