Macro Express Forums

What macros are running

I have several macros that may run for minutes or hours without terminating.  But once I start them, I can't always remember which ones are running.  Is there anything akin to "Repeat With Windows" and "Repeat With Processes" that can list them for me?  Also, a way to selectively cancel macros?  I can hover the mouse over the running man and see/cancel them that way, but I would prefer a keyboard-based approach from within another macro.  

FWIW I used to run macros a long time and it was trouble. I found it to be problematic, especially when something was looping a long time with delays. First I woudl try to find some activation I could use, but if not, I'd use the Windows Scheduler to run the macros. Or, schedule them in MEP, but Windows Scheduler I found more capable. Just an idea.

I can't think of a way to get a list of running macros. Maybe use the logging option Log All Commands and optionally the email with finished. In cases like this I usually created  a file to log starts and stops. One could make a tabular text file too. Then link to it in Excel and set the text file link query query in Excel to update every 5 minutes or whatever. Then you could have kind of a dashboard. 

I would never terminate a macro. Whatever loop you have I'd have, make it check in a file, registry, or somehting and when you drop a cancel token, have the macro abort itself.

I get ya. I seem to remember some functionality being added to work with icons in the notification area. That's what used to be called the "System Tray".  Maybe you could see the list of running macros there. If not you could write a macro. You could send a mouse click event to the system NA. Also you can force the MEP icon to be a visible one. Maybe somehting in there you could use. 

You could make a feature request. It might be nice to be able to detect running macros.