Macro Express Forums

Mouse Location set as a variable...

Hello All...

Q1= Mouse Location Variable     Q2=Sound file variable 

Q1

Created a macro that will be put on 3 different computers...

In the macro the mouse has to move to a specific location and click three different times in the macro.

Because the exact location changes depending on the computer and monitor, I would like to set the locations

as a variable at the top / beginning of the macro code.

I know I can set X and Y variables BUT is there an easier way to do this?

I would like to MOVE MOUSE, Click CTRL + SPACE, and then store as variable but i don't see that option...

Any suggestions or comments on how to accomplish this.

Q2

Similiar to the above question, same macro plays a few sound files throughout the macro.

Is there a way to SET A VARIABLE as a sound file so that I can list the sound file once, at the beginning and

refer to the varaible later in the macro ...  to play

Thanks in advance!

F

3 hours ago, Frank said:

I know I can set X and Y variables BUT is there an easier way to do this?

I would like to MOVE MOUSE, Click CTRL + SPACE, and then store as variable but i don't see that option...

I don't think there's an easier way. When you are manually setting up the macro, you should be able to use Ctrl + space to automate the process of setting the coordinates.

Similiar to the above question, same macro plays a few sound files throughout the macro.

Is there a way to SET A VARIABLE as a sound file so that I can list the sound file once, at the beginning and refer to the varaible later in the macro ...  to play

Variable Set String %SoundFile1% to "c:\tmp\Sounds\Beep.wav"
Sound File: %SoundFile1%

Q1 is a reason I rarely use the mouse and instead use the Windows Controls commands. Will that work for you in this application?

I don't understand #2. Of course you can set a variable to the path of a file and use it again later. But that's too simple so I'm not understanding what you mean. 

Weird. I submitted that message before and it didn't go.

Also for Q1 I'd use Mouse Click on Control. This way you don't need to worry about coordinates. 

Thank you for all of the feedback.

aacantor - The string variable worked ...

cory - I have zero experience with CONTROL.  I have read the help section and tried to use it but no luck

I believe for control, I have to put in commands of...

1. Get control and save as a varaible

then

2. Mouse click control variable but 

that has not worked.

I will keep trying...

F

You will read me here often stating this. Learning those control command as soon as possible will give you greater capability and save you much time in the future. I resisted for a long time then I slapped myself in the forehead when I realized how simple and powerful they were And realized I had wasted thousands of hours by not learning them sooner. 

But it's not for all application. For instance a web page or UWP app. But you made no indication what type of app you were automating. 

Cory,

again thanks for the info / advice.

I am using the macro for web pages in chrome.

I really have looked at CONTROL and just have not had any luck implementing the commands.

Maybe you can answer this.   assume I kinda know what i am doing elsewhere in ME...

If I am on a web page and I want to click a button I believe that I have to add these commands

GET CONTROL - launch the tool and hover it over the button...store it as a variable.

This is in the beginning of the code when I am defining variables

during the execution of the macro when the time comes to click the button I would add

SET FOCUS - to the variable of the control

MOUSE CLICK

Would that be correct?

F

Control commands don't work in UWP or web pages. 

MEP isn't the best program for automating web pages. You migh tconsider iMacros. 
Having said that, if it's not super repetitive, you can have some success. But I, and many of the guys here, avoid the mouse like the plague. As much as you think mouse is difficult now in a web page, it gets worse. Wait until your users start zooming in and out. 🙂 The best bet is to try and do everything with keyboard commands. What I do is with the browser focussed, hit the home button, to be sure, then tab through the web form controls counting and making a note of the index of each. Then I write, don't use the recorder, the keyboard text type commands to get to the controls I want. Check out enter, tab, arrows. Most web pages are designed to be navigable with a keyboard. Enter will make a button click event.