Macro Express Forums

Backup All Me Files For A Fresh Windows Install

burt

I am planning a new Windows install.

Now I see the macro file with backups in the My Documents folder.

Also I see 2 other files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express\macexp.dat

and

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express\MacExp.tdl

What is the function of these 2 files and do I have to copy them to my new install?

And are there any other files I have to take care for?

And is it possible to have all Macro Express related files kept in the Macro Express directory itself? I would like to have it that way.

Thanks, Burt

And is it possible to have all Macro Express related files kept in the Macro Express directory itself? I would like to have it that way.

Microsoft's guidelines for Windows applications suggest that an application's program files and data files be separated. There are many sites using Macro Express where the user does not have 'write' priviledges to files under the 'Program Files' folder. Microsoft's guidelines say the data for an application should be stored in the user's My Documents folder and/or the various 'Application Data' folders. (There are Application Data folders for 'All Users' and for each individual user.)

This will be even more important with Windows Vista. Currently, by default, a single user in Windows 2003/XP/ME/98/NT/95 has full access rights to every folder on the computer. With the current Beta version of Vista, when writing to files in specific folders such as the 'Program Files' folder, the user is asked to confirm that they want to make a change to that file or folder. You have to provide a password even when logged on as an administrator. (This change is one of the security improvements in Vista. It prevents malware (virus/trojans/spyware/etc.) from installing files on your computer without your knowledge.)

You have the choice right now of saving your macro file in the same folder where the Macro Express program files are stored. Just click 'File', 'Save Macro File As', and navigate to the 'c:\Program Files\Macro Express3' folder. However, for the reasons stated above, we do not recommend this.

Also I see 2 other files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express\macexp.dat

and

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express\MacExp.tdl

In general it is a good ideal to back up all files in the Application Data folders on your computer. Applications that follow the Microsoft Windows guidelines will store information in the Application Data folders. If you do not backup and restore these specific files in Macro Express' Application Data folder, they will be recreated by Macro Express.