Macro Express Forums

Macro To Detect Error Sounds

PotterHarry

This is just a thought, and I have no idea how to implement it. I am running a ME macro in Photoshop. Its quite a complex macro with lots of mouse clicks all over the screen. I am not able to abort the macro using the key press method (I am not sure why), and because the mouse is under the control of the macro it is difficult (no its nearly impossible) to right click on the little black running man in the tray.

When the photoshop actions go astray for whatever reason there are always a series of audible error sounds. It would be nice if the macro could detect them and then right click on the little guy for me, and so abort the macro. There may be another more obvious method, but do you have any ideas? Scoll lock/pause doesnt work.

If this could be made to work it would also usefully abort the macro if it goes astray when I leave it running unattended. Thanx.

A few thoughts--

1. Check under Options > Preferences > Playback that you are trying the correct key sequence to abort.

2. As this macro is running does the mouse cursor change state ? If so you could test that the mouse is as expected before any clicks, else abort.

3. Validate in other ways that the expected state of photoshop is correct at certain times - if necessary by pixel colour.

4. If you are clicking on controls maybe you could capture those instead of screen locations - it may be more reliable

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I like the suggestion: test that the mouse is as expected before any clicks, else abort... I have used pixel colour with some success, but when things go wrong the effects are quite random as you can probably imagine, so it would be hard to define colours in advance. I Will try the mouse pointer thing, and thanks for your help... Ian.

It’s hard to give specific advice without more detail; however some tips I give my developers are to:

1)Use tabs instead of mouse moves as much as possible.

2)Use wait for window function before every mouse click.

3)As Pete suggested if you have to use mouse clicks use the “mouse click on control” as much as possible. Even if you can’t get the specific button you want, you can typical move the mouse to the top left corner of the toolbox you hope to get control over.

4)As Pete suggested check to see if the mouse changes state, and use the “wait for mouse cursor”

:) Gabriel