Macro Express Forums

Text File Begin Process

dervinyard222

Sort of new to Macro Express and very new to the forums. I have searched everything I could find here, in the tutorials, and everywhere else I could think of because I have a feeling that this is something very simple. And I believe this is the command I need to use Text File Begin Process but after testing I cant figure out how to make it work for me.

A little background:

I am trying to process a number of text files that multiple people use that range anywhere from 30 lines to 1000's of lines.

The problem:

What I am looking to do is find a process to "read" the files every so often, and if it finds a word/words that it gives me an alert.

What I have:

LoL The alert... Microsoft Sam telling me that "you are a lazy bastid" in a wave file.

Thanks for any input...

NRD

There are 5 files.

The file names do not change.

And from some basic tests that seems to work perfectly and quickly...

The only reason I figured I needed to us the Text File Begin Process was that I wanted it to scan through the file until it came upon anything new that had been added and to only scan that. And I figured it needed to only scan the last little portions because thats what is going to be updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Sorry, but I don't want to open new topic.

I'm brand new in this forum, and I have been using Macro Express for a couple of week.

I every workday download one text file (on Tuesday two files) and I have a program whereby I can process it or them. However, first, I have to rename this file whit a date (the file contains the date).

I set a macro which launch the program, and open a dialogbox where I can choose the textfile, but I'm stick here.

I would like to ask to you:

How can I choose the textfile (name is modified day by day) and start processing?

How can I choose and processing (not the same time) textfiles on Tuesday because on this day I have two files?

Thank you in advance!

thomas

Ps. sorry for my english, if you have question please write.

Hi Everybody,

I'm brand new in this forum, and I have been using Macro Express for a couple of week.

I every workday download one text file (on Tuesday two files) and I have a program whereby I can process it or them. However, first, I have to rename this file whit a date (the file contains the date).

I set a macro which launch the program, and open a dialogbox where I can choose the textfile, but I'm stick here.

How can I choose the textfile (name is modified day by day) and start processing?

How can I choose and processing (not the same time) textfiles on Tuesday because on this day I have two files?

Thank you in advance!

thomas

Up.

Can somebody help me? :unsure:

Hi Everybody,

Thank you in advance!

thomas

Up.

Can somebody help me? :unsure:

I have solved the problem. I use Mouse Move Window.

• 3 weeks later...
There are 5 files.

The file names do not change.

And from some basic tests that seems to work perfectly and quickly...

The only reason I figured I needed to us the Text File Begin Process was that I wanted it to scan through the file until it came upon anything new that had been added and to only scan that. And I figured it needed to only scan the last little portions because thats what is going to be updated.

I would suggest a different macro for each of the 5 files.. as for proccessing only the last lines:

1. create a counter text file for each of the 5 macros

2. in each macro, add a quick routine of "get variable from text file" increment and save back to text file

3. set proccess from to the variable set by step 2

The first time the macro's run, they will proccess all lines.. then next time it runs, will proccess only lines it hasn't before processed.. etc.