Macro Express Forums

Me Trying To Access Cd/dvd Drive

terrypin

The mysterious problem I mentioned in another thread has returned.

Exactly the same as described previously, i.e:

- I start ME

- I click the tray icon to get the Editor

- A window appears with the error message:

macedit.exe - No Disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive H:

After many uses of 'Cancel' it disappears, only to pop-up again immediately, whatever my next step.

ME is installed in C:\Program Files\Macro Express3, and that's where I store my macros.

The only reference to H: that I got on searching the registry for 'Macro Express' was an aparently innocuous one in the Recent Files section, from installing the CD 'Macro Express Explained' which accompanied the book of the same name. But that was several weeks ago, and this issue has arisen only a couple of days ago.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

One way to correct this is to reset your preferences back to their default values. Once you do this you will have to do a couple of things. First, unless you are using the default macro file, you will need to open the correct macro file by clicking File, Open Macro File. Second, you will have to click Options, Preferences and review and set all the preferences the way you want them.

There are three ways to reset the preferences back to their default values:

1. Right click on the Macro Express icon in the system tray. Click on tools and then Restore Program Defaults.

2. Open the Macro Express Editor. Click Tools and Restore Program Defaults.

3. Make sure that Macro Express is not running. Using Windows Explorer/My Computer navigate to the folder where the Macro Express program files are installed (by default this is C:\Program Files\Macro Express3). Find the program 'macdef.exe' and double-click on it.

Each of these methods will bring up a dialog offering to reset the default preferences. Follow the prompts in the dialog.

If you are comfortable editing your registry you could look through the preferences in the registry and remove or edit any settings that refer to H:. The usual cautions about editing the registry apply: If you do not know what you are doing and alter something incorrectly your computer may stop working.

Macro Express stores preferences in two locations in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express

Thanks. But I think I may have found and fixed it earlier.

I had downloaded a number of user contributed macros from

http://www.macros.com/share.htm#User

to try at some time, and suspect one or more of them may have started running somewhow. As you can tell, I'm not exactly confident of this! But after deleting some and disabling all the rest, and rebooting again, and running a couple of HD and registry cleaners, I haven't so far had a re-occurence of that strange message.

As well as the Regedit search I described before, an exhaustive check through all of the keys you specified found none referring to H:

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

• 2 weeks later...

I was wrong - I haven't fixed it. Exactly the same problem has been re-occurring repeatedly. It seems to arise when I run ME after using my DVD drive. Now becoming really annoying. Can you help isolate and fix please?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry,

Please send your question and a copy of your program configuration to our support department at info@wintools.com. They will be able to promptly help you. To export the program configuration click Tools, Export Program Configuration and then choose a filename. Send the file as an email attachment.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still stuck with the "no disk in drive" prompts. Nothing in those registry locations refers to "D:"

Anyone? Buehler? :)

Edit: Might be on to something. Just found this in an export of my macro info:

D:\PGMFunctionsLibrary\PgmFL_Pro.mex

Looks like there are a bunch of references to D:\ in the PGM functions library.

Edit #2: There are 145 references in PGM Functions. Anyway to remove them all at once? Surely, I don't have to edit all the PGM macros and remove them individually.

BTW, they are all located in the "If Macro" command and refer to a "Macro filename" on the disk.

Edit: Might be on to something. Just found this in an export of my macro info:

D:\PGMFunctionsLibrary\PgmFL_Pro.mex

Looks like there are a bunch of references to D:\ in the PGM functions library.

Edit #2: There are 145 references in PGM Functions. Anyway to remove them all at once? Surely, I don't have to edit all the PGM macros and remove them individually.

None of these references should be relevant to your problem - I've just checked them all. The If test you found is used to determine whether the user is me, in which case I do, or do not, invoke certain logic. It should not be causing your problem.

In order to prove this, I wrote a simple macro to see if T:\myfilename exists (I don't have a drive T:).

The macro worked correctly and did not complain about no disk in a drive. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

None of these references should be relevant to your problem - I've just checked them all. The If test you found is used to determine whether the user is me, in which case I do, or do not, invoke certain logic. It should not be causing your problem.

In order to prove this, I wrote a simple macro to see if T:\myfilename exists (I don't have a drive T:).

The macro worked correctly and did not complain about no disk in a drive. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

Like some other folks, I got the messages to stop by putting a blank CD into my drive. And after a few reboots, I was able to remove the CD, and the messages have not come back...yet. :)