Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Questions By Prospective User

Muse

I've been using ClickFlick (a macro utility). ClickFlick is no longer available or supported. I have been using it since Windows 95 was in beta! It's very powerful and a lot of fun but has some bugs. It's gotten harder and harder to live with its shortcomings. Today, someone directed me to check out Keyboard Express, and doing so I discovered Macro Express. Are they by the same people?

ClickFlick launches actions selected from popboxes that run in the background. On cue (a customizable cue, being a key combination or key and/or mouse click) a "popbox" becomes visible and you select a button on it and the popbox disappears. The buttons are totally customizable in what they do. Some of them do actions written into the program. You can have a button send text to your application (one of my favorite actions). A button can launch an application or a specific document of an application, etc. Clickflick also supports a version of Visual Basic to write scripts which are run when you select a button.

I'm looking into this now because my new laptop (Thinkpad T60) with XP Pro and IE 7 for some reason doesn't support IE accepting text from ClickFlick. I'm sure that Macro Express doesn't have this problem (?). However, I wonder if Macro Express is as easy to use. Clickflick doesn't require you to memorize a bunch of keyboard combinations to launch macros (although you can set up keyboard shortcuts to launch a popbox button, if you so choose). The buttons are all displayed for you and you can choose at will. You can create or select your own icons and labels for the buttons and you can have any number of buttons in a popbox. Is Macro Express similarly easy to use? Thanks for any answers.

Keyboard Express is also one of our programs. It was released in 1995 followed by Macro Express in 1998.

Macro Express does have the option to create a pop-up menu or a floating menu. Other activations include: hotkey, shortkey (type a small phrase such as add and your address will type out), schedule, window title, mouse click etc... You would have to activate the pop-up box via one of these activations, or you can use the floating menu which remains even after a macro is run.

Keyboard Express is also one of our programs.  It was released in 1995 followed by Macro Express in 1998.

Macro Express does have the option to create a pop-up menu or a floating menu.  Other activations include: hotkey, shortkey (type a small phrase such as add and your address will type out), schedule, window title, mouse click etc...  You would have to activate the pop-up box via one of these activations, or you can use the floating menu which remains even after a macro is run.

In ClickFlick, the floating menu (which has the form of a sort of checkerboard of buttons, i.e. n rows of m buttons, n and m being your choice) disappears the instant you select a button. Is that doable in ME? Can I see an example of a floating menu or pop-up menu? Thanks!

When you make a selection on a Popup menu it automatically closes the Popup menu. When you make a selection on a Floating menu, it does not automatically close. However, you could put a Macro Disable command at the top of each macro called by the Floating menu to disable the floating menu.

There are several options that affect the appearance of floating and popup menus. The best way to see what they look like is to try it. Have you installed the 30-day trial version of Macro Express available at www.macros.com/download.htm?

No, I haven't downloaded yet. I wanted some assurance that I won't be disappointed. I'm certain from the posts and endorsements that I've read that ME is extremely powerful and versatile. My only concern is my worry that I will find it problematical to remember how to access that power. In Clickflick there are visible buttons that correspond to actions. I don't want to have to remember, for example, that I have to press a certain combination of keys to initiate a specific action. I can download and experiment, but I was hoping for some assurance about those menus. Are the menus like below the title bar of a window like conventional menus? One neat thing about ClickFlick is that the "popbox" appears right at the mouse cursor. Can something like that be done with ME?

I suppose it would be possible to use the two programs in tandem and have ClickFlick actions call ME macros!

• 2 weeks later...

this program is fantastic, and EASY to use.

it is EASY to start with; but you will be learning stuff from here to kingdom come, because it is very powerful.

At the easy initial stage, just start working with passing keystrokes, quick items, etc. As you learn more (and more and more and more) and as you use this forum, you will learn some new A(and new and new and new) interesting, flexible tools.

I don't think you'd be disappointed

Nick