Macro Express Forums

Use Meproc.exe Instead Of Me For Users?

Cory

I was reading on meproc.exe and although I couldn’t find anything terribly meaty it seems that it was designed to be a stripped down version of ME. So could one use it for user workstations? For instance if I wanted to give users macros who never will need to edit them. Or is this a bad idea.

It doesn't work that way. All it does is read command line parameters and send them to the player. Meproc does not have any ability to run macros. Its only purpose is to speed things up when telling Macro Express what to do from the command line.

For example, suppose you want to run a macro from the command line, a batch file, a shortcut or from another program. If you use

macexp.exe /AMyMacro

then your computer loads the 3 Meg macexp.exe file. It starts to run. It determines that another copy of macexp.exe is running. It then tells the other copy of macexp.exe what the command line parameters were (to run a macro, in this case) and then it shuts down.

However, if you use

meproc.exe /AMyMacro

then your computer loads a 160K file (nearly 20 times smaller), sends the command line information to the player and shuts down. (If meproc discovers that macexp is not already running, it starts it up.)

Using meproc.exe is faster but, on todays fast computers, you might not notice, especially if you are only running one macro. However, if you want to run multiple macros via the command line you will see a measurable improvement in speed.

Edited by kevin