Macro Express Forums

Semicolons Corrupting Text Type

terrypin

Quite often I seem to get the semicolon ';' character when I try to enter a path like D:\whatever.

For example, these commands

Keystroke Speed: 100 Milliseconds
// Type filename
Text Type: D:\Docs\Downloads\%T1%-sorted.kml

are sometimes (not always) typing D;\Docs\Downloads...

On other occasions, I've had results like D\D;ocs\etc.

As you see, I've slowed the typing speed down to a painfully slow level already.

Just when I think I've got it stabilised, up comes another corrupted result. :(

Anyone have any suggestions please?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

So you're saying when the texttype runs it will type "d;" instead of the "d:" you have in the command? That is strange. I do this sort of thing a lot and never had such a trouble. However if it's a field I will usually use the "Use Clipboard to Paste" option. I know it's not what you're looking for but if you need a workaround that might suffice for the time being. Also check out using controls to push text. It has saved me a lot of headaches.

Yep, that's right. And sometimes displaces it a position or two as well.

I'll try that alternative method, thanks.

I've so far had very little joy with Controls. Very few of my applications seem to work with it. This particular macro enters a name in a web dialog, and Capture Control couldn't come up with anything useful.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Yeah controls are useless in web windows.

I have no idea about your problem, sorry. Even if you had a lame system that ran slow I wouldn't think it would change characters or move them around. You're not using and Shift Down are you? I was thinking one might have gotten stuck from a previous macro. I racked my brains on this one once. I had a macro I was debugging and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Turns out sometimes I was bailing out before the corresponding Shift Up command and the Shift Down was sticking from the last time it ran. Drove me nuts! Still doesn't expan the bit about being out of order.

BTW, we had some good discussions about a year ago about finding stuff in and moving around in web windows if you're interested. I've perfected some pretty good techniques I think.

Thanks anyway. For the time being it's working OK - although I haven't yet implemented your alternative. All I did meanwhile was experimentally place the string into a variable and TextType that instead. Theoretically that shouldn't be any improvement, so I guess it's just a matter of time before the semicolon intrudes again.

Yes please, I would be interested in learning more about practical web navigation tips. Any particular threads you can recommend?

An initial search of this forum's archives gave me one potentially interesting macro at http://tinyurl.com/2xwsy9

From the acknowledgment of your contribution, I assume you're aware of it? If so, can you clarify one point about it please? Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see that it can possibly work with a LNK file, as claimed. Surely it should open a FILE to achieve that, not Open Folder?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK