Macro Express Forums

Popup Menu Question

oded

I have a very simple macro which runs a popup menu displayed by nickname and scope. Everything runs flawlessly.

However when I change the popup menu to "Windows' default" display and run again my macro does display the popup menu ok (Windows style) BUT the macro doesn't end (namely the "running man" is still in the taskbar... :()

This doesn't let me add more commands after the popup menu has been displayed.

Why does changing the display of the popup menu cause this and how can I overcome the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Oded

Oded, its not possible to have the helper macro do anything while the other macro is running. ME doesn't run two macros simultaneously. What I do is have the helper macro take care of a couple of preliminary things then executes the macro run command to call the second macro popup menu. The first macro is suspended while the menu macro is on screen. However, after I make my selection from the menu macro control is returned to the suspended first helper macro and the helper macro then executes a few cleanup commands after the menu macro has ended. If you need two macros to run at the very same time as opposed to one waiting for the other to finish, then you will have to use a different macro program in combination with macro express. Autoit and AutoHotkey are both free and powerful macro programs but they don't have ME's easier to use front end for creating macros.

Hope this helps you figure out what to do or answers your question that what you want to do can't be done.

Gary

Gary,

I know I can't run two macros simultaneously.

I'll try to clarify my question:

I have two popupmenu macros: popupN (displaying nickname and scope) and popupW (displaying windows' default style.)

I have two helper macros, each one containing just one line:

hlperN (executing macro run command calling popupN macro) and helperW (executing macro run command calling popupW macro.)

What happens is this:

When I run helperN macro the popup menu (nickname and scope) is displayed and helperN gets back control! so I can add more commands (eg: mouse move) which is executed while the popup menu is still on screen waiting for my choice.

When I run helperW macro the popup menu (windows default) is displayed but helperW doesn't get back control - so I can't add more commands (eg: mouse move) to helperW - not until I've made my choice first!!

What I want is (after the menu is displayed on screen) first move the mouse to another location and only afterwards make my menu choice!

HelperN lets me do it. HelperW doesn't!!

Why does the way the popup menu is displayed effect the way the macro behaves?

Thank you for your help :rolleyes:

Oded.

Oded,

I think the answer is because that is how it works. Here's my guess. When ME displays a popup as name and scope it creates the display using ME and not windows system calls. So it can display the menu and move on. When a system default popup menu is displayed ME has to make calls to the windows API and wait to receive the choice/selection info to be passed back to ME from Windows. Therefore, ME can't move on while the Windows System Default Menu is visible because it has to wait for windows to tell it what selection is made.

Can't you just have your helper Macro move the mouse to the location you want before or after you've made your choice on the windows default popup menu? That's what I do. I have it move the mouse both before the popup menu and then after I have made a selection or closed the popup menu.

If you really need what you described then you can get there by using another macro program in conjunction with ME.

Gary

Can't you just have your helper Macro move the mouse to the location you want before or after you've made your choice on the windows default popup menu?  That's what I do.  I have it move the mouse both before the popup menu and then after I have made a selection or closed the popup menu.

I think that's what I'll do..

Thanks again, Gary.

Oded.