Macro Express Forums

Using Vista Speech Recognition For Activation

Cory

I’ve been messing with the speech recognition in vista and it is working very well. In fact and dictating this right now without touching the keyboard. I’ve not been working with a very long but already I am considering Macro Express. I would very much like to be able to launch macros using this utility. I have a few ideas on how to do it but before spent too much time on it I thought I would put it out to the community to see if anybody has had any experience or thoughts on the matter.

Cory -

I did a good deal of work with Dragon Naturally Speaking and MX3. It can certainly be fun! My understanding is that Vista's speech engine is every bit as good as DNS's. Er, and it's free. Well, free when you buy Vista.

There was/is a problem with DNS hogging all the keyboard interrupts, which almost caused me to abandon the testing. However, I was finally able to get communications going between DNS and MX3 by turning on DNS's speech trouble shooting log. This is a real-time log of spoken commands that have been recognized. MX3 did a fine job of continually parsing the commands to take instructions. It all worked good. But I ran out of "play" time.

How did you do the activation. For instance if I have a macro for looking up a word definition online how can one create a command so that I could say something to the effect of “Computer, Define ‘paralax’” and have it do it?

How did you do the activation. For instance if I have a macro for looking up a word definition online how can one create a command so that I could say something to the effect of “Computer, Define ‘paralax’” and have it do it?

Good question. You've hit on the most time-consuming problem in speech recognition and MX3. It is, of course, necessary to create "something" that MX3 can recognize and act upon. "Command" files are the best solution ... for now. The future will bring other, better, solutions.

A "command" file is something that MX3 can read and parse. You say "Computer, move window to the upper-right corner.", and have it recorded to a command (speech log) file where MX3 reads and parses it.

The above is simple to do ... except for the parsing. The task of getting a computer to do something spoken is completely different than getting a computer to do something typed. There are hundreds of different ways to say "move window to the upper-right corner".

Effective parsing requires 1) an in-depth knowledge of Regular Expressions and 2) time. I have the first requirement but not the second. And this is unfortunate because we (Floyd and I) are strong advocates of speech-recognition and feel that it is a worthy and obtainable goal for Macro Express.

I think you misunderstand me a little but it was interesting what you wrote and spurred other ideas in me. But back to my basic idea. Here’s what I’m trying to say…

In VSR (Vista Speech Recognition) (Joy! I made a new acronym) It uses visible objects to act upon. For instance if there is a called “Next Item” it will click that button if you say “Next Item”. Also you can issue commands for keystrokes like the delete or backspace. But ME is invisible normally so how do I get VSR to reach out and touch it?

Maybe the ME developers should look into this and see what sort of API could be made use of.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.

I've just started messing with Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred, and "naturally" I want to try to take advantage of the many MX3 macro's that I already have -- preferably without having to "train" DNS with new words or commands. But something is not right.

Example: I have a shortkey that types "Clerk of the 11th Circuit Court". It is activated by a shortkey ".k11 ". When I type ".k11" followed by a space, MX3 runs the macro and types "Clerk of the 11th Circuit".

But when I say ".k11", DNS types ".k11", but even if I hit the spacebar, nothing happens, i.e., MX3 does not trigger the ".k11" shortkey.

I know that I can train DNS to recognize each one of my shortkeys, essentially duplicating what I did in MX, but that will take forever.

It would be much better if MX3 would recognize shortkeys even when it is DNS doing the typing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jeffrey R. Mazor