Macro Express Forums

Zipped Files

Les Hazlett

I have tried and failed to use both file and folder commands on a .zip file.

Is it possible to open a zipped file/folder and move an internal file from the zip folder to another location so that it can be processed? I know that I can open the folder containing zip file and and then mouse around until I get to the internal file. But, is there a better way?

Oh yes - I am running XP Professional

Thanks for any help.

Les

Joe,

Thanks for your response.

I am using the built-in XP Zip support. The interface is strange but I never had any reason to look for other tools while doing this operation manually. Now I want to automate it.

With manual operation the Zip "file/folder" operates like a folder. Double-click it and it opens to expose the zipped files. But ME sees the Zip "file/folder" as a file and doesn't allow folder operations.

I see from a Google search "XP Zip" that there are methods to disable the built-in XP Zip support if using some other Zip program such as WinZip.

What would you recommend?, looking for a solution with the built-in XP Zip support or using some other Zip program?

Les

Well one of the reasons I used PKZip is because we went way back to the good old days of DOS together ... it was just something I was used to using for a long, long, long time. The reason I used WinZip is because PKZip started charging for updates and, well, I do not like to pay for something that I can get legally for free somewhere else. I am a Capitalist at heart ... and now so is WinZip, because they too have started charging for upgrades.

All this means is that if you can resolve an issue using something that comes with your O/S then that would be the route to take. However, you need to answer a couple of questions for yourself:

1. Is your drive setup as an NTSF drive?
  2. Do you need to transport zip files to clients?

Joe,

With regard to your questions:

1. Yes, as you would expect, my XP Pro machine is NTFS formatted.

2. No, I don't need to send Zip files to any customers but I do need to receive them from a customer. The Zip files I receive are decoded properly with the built-in XP Zip support.

However I still have the problem that I need to automate the processing of these files and don't know the best approach to get to the data with ME.

Thanks,

Les