Macro Express Forums

Web Page / Xp Sp2 Question

confusor

Hi

I'm new to scripting, and am slowly figuring out the basics. But, I'm running into a problem I'm not sure how to fix - or if I even *truly* want to.

Until I figure out how to do this in ME, I plan on using a separate program to download email HTML files into a directory, named in sequence...text_html1.html, text_html2.html etc. The files can come in large bursts, or trickle in. My goal is to open them with a browser window, locally.

But, IE6 on XP SP2 of course wants to prevent me from running content that could be harmful - even locally. The files do come from just about anywhere - I have no way to be sure they're safe in terms of malicious code. In fact, I must assume they aren't safe. But, I DO need to open the files, and am unsure how to automate this without potentially opening up access that (at times) I shouldn't.

The machine is dedicated for this task. Nothing else important on it - although it is on a network.

Any ideas on how to code the "ok to run" portion without enabling lots of other things, like installing ActiveX, etc?

Thanks,

confusor

Maybe you can have ME save the mail message as a text file using your email program and then have ME open the file with you text editor of choice. Most email program should allow you to save a HTML mail message as text. Once saved as a text file then you no longer have to worry about any viruses or malicious code.

That would work for some of the key pieces of info in the email. But, stripped-down text emails don't have an ability to ensure whatever "open rate" metrics used by the sender(s) are activated - to indicate the email has been opened, and also possibly acted upon - which will be script#2 of this project.

If we use HTML, all metrics are covered. But, I don't know what I might do to accomplish the same thing using a text email.

The emails are coming from a variety of senders, and the goal is to be able to handle anything sent to us. So, we can't look for a specific image, or a specific domain. We have to be fairly generic.

confusor