Macro Express Forums

Webdav

Cory

Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webdav

In XP and Vista one can have 'web folder' that allow one ot open a Windows Explorer window to a HTTP site. For instance I can open http://bluepointdesign.com and access all the files there as if they were a local folder.

Vista/XP have two ways of accessing them. First is the web folders which is GUI only and first came with Office XP I think and the second is called a WebDAV Mini-redirector. Supposedly it will allow one to access them from a mapped drive. But the buzz on the street is that it's buggy and has tons of limitations. In any case I can't find any decent documentation on how to use it.

I did find a bit of shareware called DriveOnWeb that maps a drive letter and seems to work with a secure site. But I get the feeling one could do it with the built in tools.

My goal is to directly access and move files to the WebDAV site using ME internal file manipulation commands. But so far the web folders are only GUI.

Other than just taking a quick look, I have not done anything with it at all. Didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it.

Currently we are up to our eyeballs in automation/macro work so I won't be able to learn the ins-and-outs of it any time soon. Hopefully someone else has had some experience.

I appreciate it Floyd. Oddly enough I was just listening to the complete discography of Pink Floyd. I tip my hat to your graphic, I assume you’re a fan? I just ripped The Wall DVD to my HTPC as part of my reference collection this weekend too. Pretty corny to watch it these days but that was the early 80’s and if you’re a fan…

I have a workable solution now so I’m going to get off this quest. But it sticks in my craw that I have to buy another application to do it.

Fan? Yes, going back, back, back, back to the Syd Barrett days. As to the 1982 flick/animation starring Bob Geldolf ... not corny to watch it at all (IMHO :-)

Here in Cleveland we have a tribute band named "Wish You Were Here". They are really great and sound very, very much like the originals. They have a flying pig, all the lights, lasers, and circular screen. The show lasts for at least 3 hours. I personally think they sound better than "Aussy Pink Floyd" (whom are probably the most well-know P/F tribute band).

I have two PF playlists, one is the entire collection and the other is form '71 (Meddle) on. And I have to admit I tend to listen to the later more. Although I'm thinking of removing "Obscured by Clouds". It's a rare day when I'm in the mood for early PF.

I was just remarking to a buddy that Syd was probably the most famous rocker that never was. When news of his death was published I was surprised he was still alive! It was fun researching his life again though. That's one thing I love about the Internet and sites like Wikipedia, things that were huge enigmas growing up in Billings Montana are all laid bare now. I can loose an entire evening with a drink and the laptop revisiting the old rock days and learning how things really were.

Have you ever listened to Water’s “The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking”? I like Roger but I think a lot of that was things I was going thru at the time I was listening to him. If you’re interested I have a story about him from a good friend who had a close encounter. Send me a PM if you’re interested.