Macro Express Forums

Ie History Eraser Macro

mikeh

I have been using Macro Express for two or three years and I like it a lot.

My latest creation is a macro that erases whatever URLs in Internet Explorer's History contain a string specified in the macro code. It should work if you use Windows XP Pro SP2, your Windows Search function is set to Advanced mode and your primary hard drive is labeled c: (if your hard drive is not "c:" you just need to replace the "c:" in the steps 2, 3 and 4 below with the correct label). It appears that if you have turned on file indexing the macro may be ineffective sometimes. I'm not sure what other operating systems it would work on.

To make it work, follow these steps:

1. Create a shortcut on your desktop by dragging the Search icon from the Start Menu onto the Desktop.

2. In the macro code, edit the command that launches "&Search.lnk" and replace the section marked "[enter account name here and remove brackets]" with the name of your Windows user account.

3. Replace the part of the text type command containing "[enter account name here and remove brackets]" with the name of your Windows user account.

4. Replace the part of the text type command containing "[place search string here and remove brackets]" with the string you want the URLs to be deleted to contain. For example, to delete all addresses containing the word yahoo just replace [place search string here and remove brackets] with the word yahoo.

The macro is set up to delete up to 50 history items every time it runs. This number can be changed by modifying the Repeat Start command.

The macro can be downloaded from here.

Enjoy! :)