Macro Express Forums

Moving a macro from one system to anoter and not having to recode mouse moves

bob833

I have noticed that if I move a macro from one system to another and the 2nd system has a differenct size monitor and different resolution the mouse moves have to be reprogrammed.

I have tried relative to screen, screen etc but cant seem to get it rightl.

Is there a best way to do this? Like resizing each screen to a size all systems will have (and same for resolution)?

BOb

You would need to change the screen resolution for this to work properly as the location does rely on the resolution. You can change the resolution using the Default Display Size command found under the System Category. The only trick will be to find a resolution that is common to all of the displays. The list that is displayed when using the Default Display command will list only the resolutions available to your computer.

You would need to change the screen resolution for this to work properly as the location does rely on the resolution. You can change the resolution using the Default Display Size command found under the System Category. The only trick will be to find a resolution that is common to all of the displays. The list that is displayed when using the Default Display command will list only the resolutions available to your computer.

Thanks and I will try it

There are commands that return the height and width of the screen and the height and width of a window. Using that information you may be able to adjust your macro.

You may need to consider is whether or not the XP themes are enabled or even which theme is in use. One macro I wrote determines if the Windows XP themes are on or off. The macro adjusts all X, Y coordinates depending on the theme setting.

Another technique would be to save the application window's size and position, resize it and move it to a specific location, and when the macro is done, restore it to the original size and location.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I avoid using mouse moves at all costs. They work fine on one system but vary greatly depending on user toolbars, resolution and all kinds of things. Try using controls, tabs or shortcut keys instead as they will work universally.

But when I must do this I save the XY values in the registry. If the macro fires and gets to the point where the move/click needs to happen and there are no registry values for the position I ask the user to position the mouse over the button and hit enter. THen I save this to the registry for all time sake and move on with the macro.

• 2 years later...
There are commands that return the height and width of the screen and the height and width of a window. Using that information you may be able to adjust your macro.

You may need to consider is whether or not the XP themes are enabled or even which theme is in use. One macro I wrote determines if the Windows XP themes are on or off. The macro adjusts all X, Y coordinates depending on the theme setting.

Another technique would be to save the application window's size and position, resize it and move it to a specific location, and when the macro is done, restore it to the original size and location.

is there a way to do a find and replace for the mouse cords? I have a computer that doesn't support the screen res. of the orginal creation. I have lot's of mouse movements and very hard to change them all, looking for a formula or converstion

org macro is with screen 1288x778 need 1024x768

Export the macro info and search.

In the Macro Explorer go to File > Export > Output Macro Information. Then you can search that.

I actually wrote a macro that will report all the line numbers containing specific bits of text but there’s currently a problem with it on large macro files. If you like you can send me your macro file and I could do some workarounds to break it into chunks. The report simply lists all the macros it occurs in and what line. You would still need to manually replace. But really if you jus no all the macros you can open them each individually and replace all.

If the applications are being stretched to full screen in both res, you could proportion the X and Y. A very tedious macro could be written to go through all Mouse Moves in a file and proportion them. I won't bother to detail. Unless you have a huge number I think Cory's "Output Macro Information"/manual editing may be quicker in the long run.

If you don't want to convert from mouse moves to keystrokes, you can ease the manual exercise by writing a macro to do the proportioning for you. Saves messing with a calculator. For the figure you quoted, X*0.795, Y*0.987 (round result to integer).

Manually select line with Mouse Move

Run macro with hotkey:

Type Enter

Type TAB TAB TAB (only 2 Tabs for ME Pro)

Copy X (to variable)

X=X*0.795

Paste new X

Type TAB TAB

Copy Y (to variable)

Y=Y*0.987

Paste new Y

Enter

This will not work if you are using variables to position the mouse. That would need proportioning of variable.