Macro Express Forums

Rearrange file name

sbigelow

Hi. I have been using Macro Express for years on simple things. I now have a problem I'm sure I can do with a macro. I have several files that I need to alter the name. "LastName_FirstName_Account-Number Discription Text_MMDDYY.pdf" (Notice the underscore). Anyway, I want to rearrange the order if I can. I want to change it to "Account-Number LastName, FirstName Discription Text YYYY-MM-DD.pdf". Is this possible or am I way over my head? Thanks.

This requires quite a bit of string manipulation, but it can be done. Here is how I would approach this task. I have inserted the first part of the macro and description that should give you an idea.

1. Variable Set String %T1% - save the filename to a variable such as T1

2. Variable Set Integer %N1% from Position of Text in Variable %T1% - Use this command to find the position of the first _ character.

3. Variable Modify String: Copy Part of %T1% to %T2% - Copy part of the string to T2. The number of characters to copy is N1. This saves the string of LastName_ to T2.

4. Variable Modify String: Delete Part of %T2% - Delete the last character so that T2 is LastName.

5. Variable Modify String: Delete Part of %T1% - Delete the LastName_ string from the original T1 string of LastName_FirstName_Account-Number Discription Text_MMDDYY.pdf. Now T1 = FirstName_Account-Number Discription Text_MMDDYY.pdf and T2 = LastName.

Repeat the process to save FirstName to a variable such as T3.

Repeat again to extract the account number. Hopefully the account number is always the same number of characters, or there may not be a simple way to split the account number from the Description.

You'll need to do string manipulation with the date as well. Save the 6 date characters to a variable. Then extract each set of two and save to individual variables.

Then use the Text Type command to string your new file name together %T3%%T2%,etc.pdf.

Stan Jones