Macro Express Forums

Tough One For Kevin

Kevin you're probably the only one who can answer this, but if anyone else can offer insight (hehe no pun intended) or debugging tips, please pipe in, I'm really stumped here.

The macro in question controls a single client in a real-time client/server system. It depends on other clients interacting with it at totally random times. It is actually a series of about 150 intertwined macros called via Macro Run (and in a very few cases, Macro Run in Variable).

The system runs fine for the most part, but I occasionally get a hard crash which totally brings down ME and generates a bug report. This happens anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or so after I start the system, which is unfortunate because the system is designed to be run 24/7.

I submitted bug reports yesterday and this morning -- the first one gave an invalid pointer reference and today's was an access violation. Here is the first part of the bug report:

Report: #00013 - 7/9/2004 12:01:32 PM

Reported by: Jim Korenthal - JKorenthal@aol.com

Platform: Windows XP  Windows 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
Memory: Total Physical: 1024 MB  Starting Available: 728 MB  Ending Available: 213 MB

Program: Macro Express Player v 3.5.0.1

Error Type: EAccessViolation
Message: Access violation at address 004044F0 in module 'MacExp.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFF
Address: 0x004044F0

Running macro: HoboSlots

Steps to Reproduce or What was Happening:

Call Stack:
 [0049F247]
 [0049F0FE]
 [005F0233]

The stack is very long -- here are the last three reported values:

[0045BA1E]
 [0045BC3E]
 [005F23B3]

---------------< ISS Bug Reporter v 2.0.0.1 >---------------

I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this crash! If it's something I'm doing, I need to find out what it is and correct it. If it's totally an ME issue, I need to understand how I'm triggering the problem so I can devise a workaround.

Needless to say, the crash is not reproducible and I can't pin down the exact circumstances under which it occurs. I tried adding error logging to some low-level routines in an attempt to localize the problem but unfortunately, this slows the system down too much and I can't get the necessary interactions to run it properly.

I need some guidance here -- can you offer any information or suggestions?

Thanks so much, I know this one ain't easy. :)

- Jim