Macro Express Forums

Macro Return vs. Macro Stop

ejs

According to the macro express help file, Macro Return is used in conjunction with Macro Run. Macro A calls Macro B; use Macro Return in condition logic within Macro B to prematurely stop Macro B and return play back to Macro A.

In contrast, if Macro Stop is used in the condition logic in Macro B, the entire macro play back will stop. Macro B will stop but so will Macro A.

What if I want to have Macro B work as follows:

(i) if I run Macro B by activating Macro B directly (that is, not called by a Macro Run command from Macro A), and if Macro B satisfies my condition, then Macro B stops

(ii) if I run Macro B via a Macro Run command from Macro A, and if Macro B satisfies my condition, then Macro B stops and Macro A continues.

Case ii can use the Macro Return statement to stop B and return control to A. but I need a single approach that will work for case (i) AND (ii).

Can I still use Macro Return? If playback encounters Macro Return in a macro which was activated directly, does Macro Return do the same thing as Macro Stop.

This is not covered by the macro express help.

I gave it a try and it seems to work, but I wanted to ask this forum if I'm not overlooking any interactions and whether there is a better solution.

I’m not sure about how it would work without doing some experiments and trying as you have already done so I can’t speak to that with any authority but if for some reason that doesn’t work why don’t you just use a variable. If the parent macro sets T99 to “This came from a macro” and when you do the “Macro Run” you could use the logic If T99 = “This came from a macro” then you know if it was executed by itself or called.

I'll be interested to hear what you find on your basic question though.

What if I want to have Macro B work as follows:

(i) if I run Macro B by activating Macro B directly (that is, not called by a Macro Run command from Macro A), and if Macro B satisfies my condition, then Macro B stops

(ii) if I run Macro B via a Macro Run command from Macro A, and if Macro B satisfies my condition, then Macro B stops and Macro A continues.

Case ii can use the Macro Return statement to stop B and return control to A. but I need a single approach that will work for case (i) AND (ii).

Can I still use Macro Return? If playback encounters Macro Return in a macro which was activated directly, does Macro Return do the same thing as Macro Stop

Yes, you can use Macro Return in Macro B and it will work the way you describe.