Macro Express Forums

Server Sessions

cyberchief

Currently, we have 50+ workstations set up with ME to process multiple projects. Some the same macros, some different. They change all the time depending on the project.

Because we are using so many resources (computers) and our projects are growing, the question has come up on whether or not we could run ME off of a server. Specifically, we would lose our actual desktops, and each keyboard/monitor would be directly connected to the server. now, my first thought is that since ME runs off of each individual computer, how would a server react to 60+ sessions logged in all trying to run different macros at the same time.

Any thoughts? I am thinking this is not possible, but wanted to get opinions.

The boys at Insight will need to answer this one.

But I know that Macro Express will mostly run over Citrix, VPN, RD, and so forth. I say "mostly" because it depends on what the macro is doing and how it was designed.

For larger clients, we set up a single library on a server somewhere and all workstations access and work off of that library. But these are standard desktops with their own copy of Macro Express.

I suspect the licensing might be an issue.

The boys at Insight will need to answer this one.

But I know that Macro Express will mostly run over Citrix, VPN, RD, and so forth. I say "mostly" because it depends on what the macro is doing and how it was designed.

For larger clients, we set up a single library on a server somewhere and all workstations access and work off of that library. But these are standard desktops with their own copy of Macro Express.

I suspect the licensing might be an issue.

I know licensing might be an issue. My concern is that each virtual connection would be running a different library. And I have no idea if this will work or not.

I know licensing might be an issue. My concern is that each virtual connection would be running a different library. And I have no idea if this will work or not.

Then again, licensing might not be an issue. You already have those. But I would not presume to speak for Insight.

Okay, I'm lost now. Are you saying that your organization is dumping 50 of its desktops to go back to terminals for all of their apps? Or are you saying that there would be terminals for just Macro Express?

Cyberchief,

Macro Express can be installed on a workstation or on a server. The macro file can be located on the workstation or on a server. The macro file on a server can be shared by all users or specific to each user (in a 'home' directory/folder).

Naturally, putting either Macro Express or the macro file on a server increases network traffic. And, since Macro Express interfaces intimately with Windows, strange problems can occur if the network or the server goes down. However, in a robust network environment you probably do not have to worry about these issues.

As Macro Express runs it copies the macro file into a cache located in workstation memory. This reduces network traffic because it does not need to access the macro file each time a macro runs. It only reads from the macro file when a macro is not found in the cache. It only writes to the file when a macro is changed.

If a macro file is located on a server and shared by multiple users, the 'File Locking of Macro Files' option must be enabled. In later versions of Macro Express the program automatically enables this option if it detects that the macro file is located on a server. You may want to also enable the 'Synchronize Every xx Minutes' option.

So, in short, the answer to your question:

My concern is that each virtual connection would be running a different library. And I have no idea if this will work or not.
is Yes, it will work.

However, as Joe pointed out, if you are using Citrix and/or Windows Terminal Servers, you will need to take care to write your macros in specific ways. And there may be other considerations depending on your network structure.

Yes, as already stated you can run Macro Express off of a server. I do this for my company for a group of processors who process using Citrix. As also stated the macros have to usually be designed a little differently specifically when it comes to the timing or delays. (You know, command from computer at a distant location has to go through Citrix back to server's in many locatiosn in the US where macro express resident, then action has to be sent back to the processor in reverse.) Most of the time not a drastic time difference, but it does occur and you have to perhaps "play" with the macro script to get it working correctly...most of the time. We also save our seperate macro files to a share drive on one of the US servers. The processor chooses the file they need for the job they are doing.