Macro Express Forums

Debug bug?

Cory

In the help file it says:

Log Errors To File

This command logs any errors that occur during the execution of a macro to a text file. When this command is encountered, an entry is immediately made in the error log file allowing you to see that a macro has started. Place this macro command first in your macro script to ensure that this entry is made when the macro runs. A macro completion entry will be made in the log file when the macro completes. This will allow you to determine that the macro completed successfully. All entries will be date/time stamped.

But when I try it no initial or closing entry is made as described. It does however appear to log error is encountered. Logging messages appears to work fine and I could use that instead but it seems silly. Am I doing something wrong?

<LOGERR:N><LOGFILE:YY:A message><TBOX4:T:1:CenterCenter000278000200:000:ProgressThis is my macro! >

BTW this happens on older versions A and B as well so I don't think it has anythign to do with the log file size bug that was just fixed.

But when I try it no initial or closing entry is made as described. It does however appear to log error is encountered. Logging messages appears to work fine and I could use that instead but it seems silly.

On my system, checking the Preferences->Playback->Log All Macro Information is the only way to get a "Macro Start" recorded. Left unchecked it will not record the start of a macro, or the end of one either, for that matter.

The Do Not Display Error box within the Log Errors command acts differently depending on if a Macro Return / Macro Stop command is encountered. If the macro ends without encountering either then a "Macro Completed" is recorded regardless of being checked or unchecked. However, if your macros contain Macro Return / Macro Stop commands then the box must be checked in order to record the end of the macro.

Dude, that was post 999! Contrats!

I did not know of that preference but I don't think it's a solution as I would rather not have it log for all the macros. It seems that the command should cause the log entry on a per instance basis.

I've taken to creating a debug mode for my macros. Basically I put all my debugs in an IF which I can control with one variable. They way they're normally turned off but if I need them I can quickly re-enable them. It's a little clunky but it works. Do you have any better ideas?

Dude, that was post 999! Contrats!

I did not know of that preference but I don't think it's a solution as I would rather not have it log for all the macros. It seems that the command should cause the log entry on a per instance basis.

I've taken to creating a debug mode for my macros. Basically I put all my debugs in an IF which I can control with one variable. They way they're normally turned off but if I need them I can quickly re-enable them. It's a little clunky but it works. Do you have any better ideas?