Macro Express Forums

HELP! Program Launch CANOT redirect (>) Screen > file!

james123

HI every body,

PURPOSE: Get back in a TEXT FILE some screen information returned by runnning a command line program.

When using : PROGRAM LAUNCH , and using the third field "program parameters ", with a COMMAND-LINE type program , I CANOT redirect screen information to a file !

AS A TEST EXAMPLE, with the DOS program attrib.exe ( located usually on XP - C:\WINDOWS\system32 ...everybody probably have it... )

WORKING OK ON DOS COMMAND LINE: attrib > c:\type_attrib_to_file.txt

NOT WORKING on macro express , program parameters of LAUNCH program instruction :

code: <LAUNCHDEL2:0:01C:\WINDOWS\system32\attrib.exe<PARAM>> c:\type_attrib_to_file.txt3>

Is anybody can give me a solution ?? Or maybe this instruction have to be improved ? Then, any other way to get back my sceen information to a text file ??

Tks & rgds. James

NOT WORKING on macro express , program parameters of LAUNCH program instruction :

code: <LAUNCHDEL2:0:01C:\WINDOWS\system32\attrib.exe<PARAM>> c:\type_attrib_to_file.txt3>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I beat it into submission as follows: Launch command.com instead of attrib.exe. Pass attrib.exe to command.com as parameters. Like so:

Launch program/path: C:\windows\system32\command.com

Program parameters: /C attrib >c:\temp\metest.txt

Or, in direct-edit format: <LAUNCHDEL2:0:01c:\windows\system32\command.com<PARAM>/C attrib >c:\temp\metest.txt>

though why anyone would want to use direct-edit is beyond me.

Bob

I do this sort of thing often and while the text file generation works well I like to use the clip.exe (dir c:\temp | clip). This redirects the output to your windows clipboard instead of writing to a file. Older versions of Windows only had it if you installed the Resource Kit but all the current versions of Windows include it now natively.

THANK YOU BOB, I APPRECIATE, it works .

------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I beat it into submission as follows: Launch command.com instead of attrib.exe. Pass attrib.exe to command.com as parameters. Like so:

Program parameters: /C attrib >c:\temp\metest.txt

Or, in direct-edit format: <LAUNCHDEL2:0:01c:\windows\system32\command.com<PARAM>/C attrib >c:\temp\metest.txt>

though why anyone would want to use direct-edit is beyond me.

Bob

Thank you , I would like the idea to save some in the clipboard but... dont works in macroexpress.... probably I miss something...

I had to download the CLIP.EXE , then it works OK on DOS COMMAND :

dir c: | clip

but it DONT works within macro express :

<LAUNCHDEL2:0:01C:\WINDOWS\system32\attrib.exe<PARAM>c:\*.* | c:\windows\clip.exe>

My clip exe ( MD5 chksum ) is: B265B924104C248FB94C3B6D7E8D4050

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. James

-------------------------------------

I do this sort of thing often and while the text file generation works well I like to use the clip.exe (dir c:\temp | clip). This redirects the output to your windows clipboard instead of writing to a file. Older versions of Windows only had it if you installed the Resource Kit but all the current versions of Windows include it now natively.

The solution for clip.exe from macro express is probably the same as for attrib. That is,

Program parameters: /C dir c: | clip

I haven't tried it because I don't have clip.exe on this PC.