Macro Express Forums

Open a new webpage on a website without openning a new ie window

Markter

The Web Site command is going to open a new tab or new browser window, depending on your version of IE, each time.

I would suggest having the macro activate the IE window, if it does not already have focus. Then press Alt + d to go to the address bar. Then have the macro insert the new URL and press enter.

• 3 months later...

I have a related question.

I am a physician. I hav created shortcuts for my staff, in an explorer folder.

one is to go to the state health system.

some machines open this in a tab, some open this in a window.

I have MacroExpress copy demographics from my medicla record program, then go to the state imun system IE window,and enter the demographics to look up a patient.

the problem is that if teh state system is in a TAB, and that tab is not the active one, then the title of the IE window is not accurate,and the state macro action gets on hold.

Is there a way to ahve macro express look for TABS that are open, besides windows?

this way I could look for the STATE tab, OR window, and activate it, and then paste the demographics to their lookup fields?

thanks

Nick

I have a related question.

I am a physician. I hav created shortcuts for my staff, in an explorer folder.

one is to go to the state health system.

I have MacroExpress copy demographics from my medicla record program, then go to the state imun system IE window,and enter the demographics to look up a patient.

the problem is that if teh state system is in a TAB, and that tab is not the active one, then the title of the IE window is not accurate,and the state macro action gets on hold.

Is there a way to ahve macro express look for TABS that are open, besides windows?

this way I could look for the STATE tab, OR window, and activate it, and then paste the demographics to their lookup fields?

thanks

Nick

Nick,

Here is what I would suggest. Use the Alt + d to highlight the URL line. Copy to the clipboard and then use the If Clipboard command to see if you have the correct tab open. If not, press Ctrl + Tab to go the next tab and repeat the process until you find the right one.

Or you could set it up in a Repeat loop. Save the clipboard to a text string variable and Repeat Until the variable matches the URL you want. This way it wouldn't matter how many tabs you have open.

There is a setting in Internet Explorer that controls whether new pages are opened in a new window or a new tab. Click Tools and then Internet Options. Then click the 'Tabs' button. The section is 'Open links from other programs in :' and the options are 'A new window', 'A new tab in the current window', 'The current tab or window'.

There is a similar setting in Firefox accessible by clicking Tools and Options. Then click on the Tabs tab. The setting is 'New pages should be opened in' and the choices are 'a new window' or 'a new tab'.

If you cannot standardize this setting on all computers then you could change the macro to accommodate. In IE and Firefox there is a command that tells the browser to open a new tab. Have your macro send those keystrokes instead of using the Web Site command.

Thanks for reply.

doesn't seem too practical,as I tried this by hand.

It would be ok, BUT when hitting CTL-TAB, you get to the next web tab, BUT not any easy keyboard way to get to the URL line that I could find (unless you know a better way)

if there were a way to do

CTL-TAB (get to next tab)

keystokes sequence (get to the URL of current tab)

copy to clipboard

IF lclipboard

etc

etc

Also, is ther a command that can BRING UP the current internet window, (if multiple tabs in it, then not always same WINDOW title line to do an "activate window"

thanks

nick

ALSO, I had checked to receive email when response came to this, but no response received by email to show me that a response was made.

how to trigger email showing a reply was generated?

thansk

NIck

Nick,

Here is what I would suggest. Use the Alt + d to highlight the URL line. Copy to the clipboard and then use the If Clipboard command to see if you have the correct tab open. If not, press Ctrl + Tab to go the next tab and repeat the process until you find the right one.

Or you could set it up in a Repeat loop. Save the clipboard to a text string variable and Repeat Until the variable matches the URL you want. This way it wouldn't matter how many tabs you have open.

My apologies to both of you !!

I read this reply (terry's) this morning, after good night's sleep, went back to the IE window, and everything works !

that's what happens when you lok at stuff at NIGHT, with the brain frazzled, I did not pay particular attention to the ALT-D !!!

OK, off to the drawing board ....

thansk

Nick

Nick,

As Stan mentioned, Alt+d seems to do it. Works for me in both Firefox and IE6.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK