Macro Express Forums

Why doesn't this work?

terrypin

I'm at the hair-tearing stage over what should be a really simple operation! In my application Memory Map there's a list of entries like this:

mxproblem1gv6.jpg

Manually, if I left click a selected entry then after about half a second the name becomes editable (so that I can copy it to clipboard for instance), like this:

mxmanualdj0.jpg

But if I try to do that in a macro the box refuses to become editable. For example, this code

Mouse Left Button Click
Delay 2 Seconds
Pause: Basic

results in this:

mxproblem2cr4.jpg

Anyone know what might be happening, and how to achieve the result I want please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

1. Make sure you insert 2 clicks, one to select, a pause, and another click to edit the name

2. Make sure you're clicking on the text itself

Once you have another window appear (the Pause) the focus is lost on the overlay properties and it will no longer be editable.

1. Make sure you insert 2 clicks, one to select, a pause, and another click to edit the name

2. Make sure you're clicking on the text itself

Once you have another window appear (the Pause) the focus is lost on the overlay properties and it will no longer be editable.

Thanks, but

1. Tried that alternative earlier; made no difference. Various delays and minor variations - same result.

2. Doing that; I have the mouse hovered over the selected (highlighted) text before running the macro. IOW, exactly the same as the manual procedure.

I only added the Pause to check why the later Ctl+C command to get the name onto the clipboard was failing. It shows that the reason is because the text is not accessible for copying at the outset.

--

Here are a couple of things to try.

1. Down arrow once to the item below and then up arrow back to your selection. Does this give proper focus so that you can copy to the clipboard?

2. Many of these type menus allow for a right mouse click and a Rename option. If this menu allows, choose Rename and then copy to the clipboard.

Thanks Stan. I'm pleased to report that I solved the problem. It turned out to be the same issue that had me foxed months ago. I was using a Shortkey for activation. When I switched to a Hotkey, it worked. Back with the Shortkey, I changed the setting to Do Not Remove Keystrokes Typed - and it worked! For anyone new to this issue, here's the relevant Help:

This option instructs the shortkey not to erase itself after being typed in. Normally, backspaces are issued to remove the shortkey from the screen before the macro is executed. When using shortkeys in non text usage programs, this may not be desirable to have "backspaces" issued

It seems sort of counter-intuitive (my first thought is that I would normally want to remove those text characters in case they screw things up) but it's those pesky backspaces that cause the trouble. I'll try to remember this from now on ;)

--