Macro Express Forums

Reading ASCII Delimited Text File on Share Drive

johnboy691

Hi Everyone:

Has anyone had any experience with having a ASCII Delimited Text File on a share drive and multiple (dozens) of people accessing that file using a macro expres macro using the ME command to read the file? I would like to know if someones macro is reading the file and another persons macro needs to read the same file at the same time if there are any access or read problems for the second or third or .... persons getting access at the same time?

Thanks for any comments anyone can give me!

John

I'm going to guess that it will work just fine. If you have two or three PCs to test with, try it by putting a big file on the server (big, so that reading it won't be practically instantaneous). The embed some delays in your macro if necessary, to slow it down a bit more, and start the macro on all the PCs at once. The only reason for the delays is so the macro won't finish on the first PC before you have a chance to start it on the others. Or to prolong the test without building in delays, you could have a repeat loop in the macro to process the file ten or a hundred or a thousand times, just to force more contention among the several PCs.

Let us know how it comes out.

Hi Everyone:

Has anyone had any experience with having a ASCII Delimited Text File on a share drive and multiple (dozens) of people accessing that file using a macro expres macro using the ME command to read the file? I would like to know if someones macro is reading the file and another persons macro needs to read the same file at the same time if there are any access or read problems for the second or third or .... persons getting access at the same time?

Thanks for any comments anyone can give me!

John

rberq

Thanks for you comments. I took your advice and set up an excel file with 65,000+ lines and 28 columns full of data and saved as a csv file to a share drive. I made a macro that looped requesting a find of a random number every loop. I started that macro on 28 computers (at the same time) and haven't had an error out at all. If anything I may notice a slight delay other than running on just one...but only slight. Hopefully this information will help others.

John