Macro Express Forums

Equivalent of Basic's "GOTO"

balithag

Please pardon me if this subject has already been addressed elsewhere. For the record, I tried to search the forum, but the only terms I could think of to search on had four or fewer characters: GOTO, skip, jump

Is there a Macro Express 3 command that simulates the GOTO command in Basic, where you specify either by line number or by some other marker a place in the same macro to jump to if a certain condition is met? I'd like to avoid having it call an outside macro if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ah! An existential crisis! Is ME a keystroke capturer, or is it a programming language?

I hereby cast my vote for adding GOTO to ME. That, and some fancier date-time-manipulation commands, would be high on my wish list.

I agree with 100% committance!

A Marker and GOTO command would be fabulous.

I'm not sure if you know this but ME's date/time manipulation is already pretty good (although not great), check out the "date" and "date/time" commands under the "Text" catagory

Please pardon me if this subject has already been addressed elsewhere. For the record, I tried to search the forum, but the only terms I could think of to search on had four or fewer characters: GOTO, skip, jump

Is there a Macro Express 3 command that simulates the GOTO command in Basic, where you specify either by line number or by some other marker a place in the same macro to jump to if a certain condition is met? I'd like to avoid having it call an outside macro if possible.

Thanks in advance.

This is my approach ...

Switch (N1)
 Case: 0
   Macro Run: MAC0
 End Case
 Case: 1
   Macro Run: MAC1
 End Case
End Switch

etc.

With a "Macro Return" in each call to an external macro above the code will continue after the "End Switch" statement. Not quite the functionality of a GOTO but usable.

Ah! An existential crisis! Is ME a keystroke capturer, or is it a programming language?

I hereby cast my vote for adding GOTO to ME. That, and some fancier date-time-manipulation commands, would be high on my wish list.

Throw my vote into the hat... GOTO and markers. Seems silly not to have these if Loop functionality is already present.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to think GOTO would be an improvement but now I think it's a crutch. The logic of ME just works differently than BASIC. Once you get your head around it there's nothing you can't do without it and often I think it disciplines my thinking to more efficient and logical code writing. Having said that I did write a sleazy way of doing GOTO in ME3. Click here to see it on my webpage.