Macro Express Forums

where to place the variable definition

fjslan

THANKS TO KEVIN for providing help in an earlier topic.

my GOAL: run a macro "N" number of times and half way throught thru macro I need to input a name+3 digit number "FRANK-001", "FRANK-002, etc currently i am pausing the macro, entering the name manually, resuming the macro

Kevin provided me this

<REM2:Intialize variable><IVAR2:03:01:0><REM2:><REM2:Get the number of times to repeat><IVAR2:01:02:FEnter the number of times to repeatFFCenter:Center><REM2:Repeat N1 times. Keep a counter in N2.><REP3:01:000001:000001:%N1%:1:02:><REM2:Copy the counter to string variable T1><NMVAR:05:02:0:0000001:0:0000000><REM2:Pad T1 to be 3 characters in length><TMVAR2:14:01:00:003:000:><REM2:Replace the leading spaces with leading 0's><TMVAR2:21:01:01:000:000: 0><REM2:Create T2 with 'frank' followed by a number><TVAR2:02:01:frank%T1%><REM2:><REM2:Create T2 with 'frank' followed by a number><TEXTTYPE:%T2%<ENTER>><ENDREP>

My problem is that I do not know where to enter the script into my current macro so that it will work.

(do i enter all of it at the beginning or part of it at the beginning?

all of it in th emiddle and part in the beginning? you get the idea.

Please help

// Get the number of times to repeat
Variable Set Integer %N1% from Prompt
// Repeat N1 times. Keep a counter in N2.
Repeat Start (Repeat %N1% times)
 // Copy the counter to string variable T1
 Variable Modify Integer: Convert %N2% to text string %T1%
 // Pad T1 to be 3 characters in length
 Variable Modify String: Pad Left %T1%
 // Replace the leading spaces with leading 0's
 Replace " " with "0" in %T1%
 // Create T2 with 'frank' followed by a number
 Variable Set String %T2% "frank%T1%"

// Create T2 with 'frank' followed by a number
 Text Type: %T2%<ENTER>
Repeat End

If you post the macro in script format then others can read it without having to copy it and paste it into Macro Express. Make it easier for others to help you. Post in script format, embeded in code tags.

My problem is that I do not know where to enter the script into my current macro so that it will work.

(do i enter all of it at the beginning or part of it at the beginning?

all of it in th emiddle and part in the beginning? you get the idea.

All variables are already 'defined'. If a macro needs a variable set to a specific value you would need to initialize it. But, in the example given, there is no need to initialize it. Put the macro commands in the macro where you need them.

The sample was meant as a starting point, not a complete solution. You may want read the variables topic in the help file to and study other macros to see how to use them. The 'samples.mex' file installed in the same folder as the Macro Express program files has several sample macros you can study. You may also want to visit our Shared Macros web page for additional samples.