Macro Express Forums

can I take a string variable and replace returns in it with spaces?

margaret

I'm trying to take a string from the clipboard and replace all paragraph returns within the string with spaces. I understand how to get the string. But the option to Strip CR/LF just removes the returns, mushing two words together. I tried the replacement option, but it doesn't seem to understand either "CR/LF" or "<CR/LF>". The position of the return within the string is not predictable. Is it impossible to do what I want? Or is there some other way to communicate a return to the command for modifying variables?

Thanks.

Below are the steps you need to take. Set the ASCII Values for Carriage Returns (13) and Lines Feeds (10) to text string variables. Consolidate the two into one variable with 13 followed by 10. Use the Replace Substring option to replace the consolidated variable (carriage return/line feed) with a space.

Variable Set %T1% to ASCII Char of 13

Variable Set %T2% to ASCII Char of 10

Variable Modify String: Append %T2% to %T1%

Replace "%T1%" with " " in %T10%

Below are the steps you need to take. Set the ASCII Values for Carriage Returns (13) and Lines Feeds (10) to text string variables. Consolidate the two into one variable with 13 followed by 10. Use the Replace Substring option to replace the consolidated variable (carriage return/line feed) with a space.

Variable Set %T1% to ASCII Char of 13

Variable Set %T2% to ASCII Char of 10

Variable Modify String: Append %T2% to %T1%

Replace "%T1%" with " " in %T10%

Thank you so much. This is great! I got it to work. This is going to save a enormous amount of time!