Macro Express Forums

Printling List Of Macros

robdotcalm

I’d like to print in a decent form a list of the macros I’ve written . When I use File-Print Macro List while in Macro Explorer, I don’t know how to control the formatting. Wide spacing occurs between the fields often causing an unnecessary spill over onto the next line and the date modified is not included.

To get a decent view of the macro list, I’ve used a screen capture of the macros listed and then edited that as needed (in Paint Shop Pro).

Is there a way in Macro Express to control this printing.

Cheers,

RobKelman.calm

25-Feb-05 09:46:00 MST (-6 UMT)

Hi, rob and Joe,

Same applies, I think, to printing the macros themselves..

I imagine changing the font might help as Joe suggests.

For formatting, I have previously set the printer to "Generic/ Text/ File" (ie install a printer to print to a file), then formatted the text file it produces by opening it in Word.

Best, Randall

How do you like this gif picture ?

MacroExpressMakros.gif

http://www.Mediocom1.de/images/MacroExpressMakros.gif

To get this, I have changed the preferences of my configuration.

My configuration file can be downloaded as

http://www.mediocom1.de/zip/BerndsEinstellung.zip

and imported with Tools import

ConfigurationImport.gif

Details:

http://www.mediocom1.de/macex.html

http://www.mediocom1.de/Macex_EN.html

BerndsEinstellungenC.mcf

Sorry, but I just wanted to show how you can change your configuration to see & print a large number of macros.

In fact, most of my macros make it easier to use the PIMs

Lotus Organizer and

Microsoft Outlook

The macros include the description of all variables used and have a good documentation with <REM - Remarks, so that even if someone doesn't speak a word German will understand what the macro is doing, even the ALT+[letter] commands in German program versions are different from the relative commands necessary in English.

Unfortunately, I don't have an English version of Windows XP.

If I had XP English, I could translate all my macros, so that they can be used in English programs.

Thanks everybody. Bernd, good work, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by it (Ich kann Deutsch langsam lesen.) Since I don't have print-to-file setup (and am not sure how to do it), I had to pass on that one.

One of the things that I wanted to do was sort the macros by scope and print that. What I've decided is to name the macros by scope, e.g., otFinish (ot = Outlook), psCapture (ps = Paint Shop Pro), glFullAddress (gl = Global). Then I list them sorted by name in the Macro Explorer window and do a screen capture and print that. This is OK, but when my list of macros gets beyond 2 pages, I can see this as a bit awkward.

QuicKeys has a print feature that lets one list the macros by application and prints it out nicely. This would be a good feature for Macro Express.

Cheers,

RobKelman.calm

Hi, Rob,

I have just tried to print the list with no problem!

Font is on 8.

In "details mode" (Menu -Options/ View/ Details), I just click on "scope" column to sort, then print; I am not sure you really need to rename them?

(btw, to add print to file, "Add Printer" from Control panel, select Printers, "Direct connection", "File " instead of "LPT1", then Manufacturer "generic", Printers "Generic/text only")

Best, Randall

Hi, Rob,

I have just tried to print the list with no problem!

Font is on 8.

In "details mode" (Menu -Options/ View/ Details), I just click on "scope" column to sort, then print; I am not sure you really need to rename them?

(btw, to add print to file, "Add Printer" from Control panel, select Printers, "Direct connection", "File " instead of "LPT1", then Manufacturer "generic", Printers "Generic/text only")

Best, Randall

I agree that sorting on Scope helps out. In my case, strong typing in naming the macro will make it easier for me to immediately recognize the Scope for the macro.

In Word I reduced the font size to 8, and that helped. The appearance of paragraph marks after the phrase "Program Specific" has made the lining up of the macros difficult. I don't know if this has something to do with the colon (:) after Program Specific.

If the matrix could be exported as CSV (comma separated variables), then it would be easy to deal with. A print file needs a lot of massaging. Thanks for your help and comments.

Cheers,

RobKelman.calm

@robdotcalm

I see no need for a file export:

1. sorted by Hotkeys

Everytime I doubleclick the "M" in the Systray, I will see my macros this way sorted by Hotkeys. Sort after Scope makes no sense to me, as the same hotkey can be used for different programs/window names to start different macros. Sometimes I use the same hotkey to do the same thing in different programs (Outlook/Lotus Organizer).

2. Properties "Program/Section" behind hotkey

helps to indicate for which part of which program the macro is used:

Ctrl+F LO AD mark. Address->Word Fax1 copies a marked address in Lotus Organizer addressbook into my Word fax template "FAX1"

Ctrl+F OL AD mark. Address->Word Fax1 does exactly the same for Outlook contacts.

3. Sort Number in properties

Earlier I used an extra number for sorting, but I deleted it as sorting after hotkeys seemed sufficient.

4. "Print" key

copies picture to Clipboard & Ctrl+V pasts it into Word for printing

(even small enough to be attached right of my notebook touchscreen)